The Heat And My Vision Cage

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
There are now 14 hatchlings in my Vision cage, and my city is experiencing its 25th consecutive day of triple digit weather.

My house is cooled (I use the term loosly) by an evaporative cooler. When the temperature outside gets up to 100F degrees, the cooler doesn't do a very good job. I'm not too uncomfortable, as I'm sitting in front of an electric fan, but as I walked by the leopard babies I saw that the temperature in their chamber was 93F degrees.

I reached inside and the RHP is not on, but there's a LOT of heat coming off the tube type fluorescent light. Needless to say, I turned the light off! Then I opened both doors and took a towell and fanned out some of the hot air.

It's not very light where the Vision cage sits, but I guess those babies will have to live in low light until the weather cools some.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is wrong with 93? That's what I aim for in winter. My LEDs are set on a timer only, but my basking lamps are set on a timer and a thermostat. They don't shut the heat off until it reaches 95+.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
There are now 14 hatchlings in my Vision cage, and my city is experiencing its 25th consecutive day of triple digit weather.

My house is cooled (I use the term loosly) by an evaporative cooler. When the temperature outside gets up to 100F degrees, the cooler doesn't do a very good job. I'm not too uncomfortable, as I'm sitting in front of an electric fan, but as I walked by the leopard babies I saw that the temperature in their chamber was 93F degrees.

I reached inside and the RHP is not on, but there's a LOT of heat coming off the tube type fluorescent light. Needless to say, I turned the light off! Then I opened both doors and took a towell and fanned out some of the hot air.

It's not very light where the Vision cage sits, but I guess those babies will have to live in low light until the weather cools some.
Ahh Yvonne, we're all hot here in the southwest. Fortunatelly, our tortoises are well adapted to the heat. Our's are enjoying coming out of their burrows each afternoon to bask in the sprinklers. As I said above, Ahhh. Now . . . what do we do to keep ourselves cool?