The introverted vs extroverted tortoise owner

Are you more introverted or extroverted?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

farber2028

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Someone explain this. I'm way left on the spectrum yet I'm a salesman. Seems counter-intuitive right? :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: The introverted vs extroverted tortoise owner

SpdTrtl said:
I am a social butterfly. I am the weirdo that will strike up a conversation with anyone.

This is me too :D

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
jjsull33 said:
I would say I am extroverted, I have a BS in hotel management so not only do I not mind talking to people and being in crowds I was kind of trained for that.
I guess as a child(I got my 2 russians 10 years ago in high school) I was more introverted, as I am a gamer and was really into anime (can you tell my my russian names), I preferred to sit at home and chill with my games and torts, but now I show them off to everyone even unprovoked haha.

Introversion/extroversion is an innate part of our temperament, and not changeable over time. Thus, we are born at some point on the introversion/extroversion spectrum, and stay around that point our whole lives. It's thought that this is because of an inborn part of how our brains work. Basically, your brain either filters out a lot of stimulation, or else lets a lot of it in. If you have a very active filter, then you need more stimulation to feel at equilibrium, making you an extrovert. However, if your filter is less active, then you already feel at equilibrium with less excitement, and are therefore an introvert.

haidao88

5 Year Member
I am an animal lover hands down... I have had experiences with almost all domestic animals, and this is my first time owning anything else exotic besides fish.... But I love being out and about enjoying life, i don't consider myself one or the other but I am pretty well rounded. I love to be home at least half the day but I can't stay home when I'm home... so I guess it's a win win lol time to be home and away :cool:

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
farber2028 said:
Ken i get that all the time too. People like to talk to me but little do they know i really don't care. I'm good at faking it though. I'm really introverted

This happens to me too but it's usually the weird people. My employees say it's because I look at everyone and I always smile. I just figure that's polite. I was at the grocery store tonight buying all natural- no preservative Israeli olives (ie an odd spot in the store and usually empty) and I think I could have had a new boyfriend. He followed me out to my truck yakking at me :pwhich would have been scary but he was obviously harmless.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
I am introverted, and I have also wondered if torties and boxies might be more appealing to introverts than extroverts. Judging by the poll above, it seems they might be.

For those of you wanting to learn whether you're introverted or extroverted, as well as about other aspects of your personality, I highly recommend the following resource. It's the website of psychologist David Keirsey, and it uses the Jungian Myers-Briggs personality test to determine your type and help you learn more about yourself:

http://keirsey.com/

Enjoy. :)

I took this. It reminded me of the DISC profiling they made me take for work. :p I called the dude administering the test twice to make sure I was doing it right and he was like I predict you will be a C personality.. and I was the highest C he had seen in a long time. C personality is as described below
C = Conscientious (Passive DISC Style, Task-Oriented)
What are the general characteristics of the C Personality Style?
The C Personality Style is accurate, precise, detail-oriented, and conscientious. They think very analytically and systematically and make decisions carefully with plenty of research and information to back it up. The C has very high standards for both themselves and others. Because they focus on the details and see what many other styles do not, they tend to be good problem solvers and very creative people.
For a job and I am a Security and Compliance Director

Your Keirsey Temperament Sorter Results indicates that your personality type is that of the

Guardians (SJ's) are the cornerstone of society, for they are the temperament given to serving and preserving our most important social institutions. Guardians have natural talent in managing goods and services--from supervision to maintenance and supply -- and they use all their skills to keep things running smoothly in their families, communities, schools, churches, hospitals, and businesses.

Guardians can have a lot of fun with their friends, but they are quite serious about their duties and responsibilities. Guardians take pride in being dependable and trustworthy; if there's a job to be done, they can be counted on to put their shoulder to the wheel. Guardians also believe in law and order, and sometimes worry that respect for authority, even a fundamental sense of right and wrong, is being lost. Perhaps this is why Guardians honor customs and traditions so strongly -- they are familiar patterns that help bring stability to our modern, fast-paced world.

Practical and down-to-earth, Guardians believe in following the rules and cooperating with others. They are not very comfortable winging it or blazing new trails; working steadily within the system is the Guardian way, for in the long run loyalty, discipline, and teamwork get the job done right. Guardians are meticulous about schedules and have a sharp eye for proper procedures. They are cautious about change, even though they know that change can be healthy for an institution. Better to go slowly, they say, and look before you leap.

Guardians make up as much as 40 to 45 percent of the population, and a good thing, because they usually end up doing all the indispensable but thankless jobs everyone else takes for granted.

As a Provider (ESFJ), you can be very cooperative and enjoy serving the needs of people, especially those close to you. You approach tasks in an organized and thoughtful matter and are excellent with follow through and detail work. You enjoy working on projects that improve situations for people and enjoy working on committees and organizing celebrations. You are the keepers of tradition like special holidays, and go to great lengths to make sure people are cared and provided for.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I am an extrovert. I like social situations with what I perceive to be good people. I have a basic caring for people which has probably made me a good nurse. :)
I feel like I can do well in almost all situations. I see myself as kind but strong.
I love all living creatures and would do anything to help one in need.
I also could live in my yard!
:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
When I was younger, I was what some people would call a radical for animal rights. Yes, I was the nut marching with signs and driving the "get-away" car while a friend "rescued" a chained dog or whatever. I was also doing primate rescue. I took in box turtles and water turtles that people didn't want any more too, but I always considered myself an introvert. I would rather spend my days out in the yard with my animals and flowers. I would rather talk to my dogs then on the phone. All the friends that I have, I have since high school...many, many years ago. I'm also shy and find it hard to talk to people I don't know. If that's an introvert, then I guess that's what I am.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I am introverted, and I have also wondered if torties and boxies might be more appealing to introverts than extroverts. Judging by the poll above, it seems they might be.

For those of you wanting to learn whether you're introverted or extroverted, as well as about other aspects of your personality, I highly recommend the following resource. It's the website of psychologist David Keirsey, and it uses the Jungian Myers-Briggs personality test to determine your type and help you learn more about yourself:

http://keirsey.com/

Enjoy. :)

Your Keirsey Temperament Sorter Results indicates that your personality type is that of the

Guardians (SJ's) are the cornerstone of society, for they are the temperament given to serving and preserving our most important social institutions. Guardians have natural talent in managing goods and services--from supervision to maintenance and supply -- and they use all their skills to keep things running smoothly in their families, communities, schools, churches, hospitals, and businesses.

Guardians can have a lot of fun with their friends, but they are quite serious about their duties and responsibilities. Guardians take pride in being dependable and trustworthy; if there's a job to be done, they can be counted on to put their shoulder to the wheel. Guardians also believe in law and order, and sometimes worry that respect for authority, even a fundamental sense of right and wrong, is being lost. Perhaps this is why Guardians honor customs and traditions so strongly -- they are familiar patterns that help bring stability to our modern, fast-paced world.

Practical and down-to-earth, Guardians believe in following the rules and cooperating with others. They are not very comfortable winging it or blazing new trails; working steadily within the system is the Guardian way, for in the long run loyalty, discipline, and teamwork get the job done right. Guardians are meticulous about schedules and have a sharp eye for proper procedures. They are cautious about change, even though they know that change can be healthy for an institution. Better to go slowly, they say, and look before you leap.

Guardians make up as much as 40 to 45 percent of the population, and a good thing, because they usually end up doing all the indispensable but thankless jobs everyone else takes for granted.

Inspectors (ISTJ) are the true guardians of institutions. You are patient with your work, and are super-dependable to get the job done. You like it when your team members know their duties, follow guidelines, and operate within the rules. As an Inspector, you are not comfortable with anything that gets too fancy, and you usually prefer to be plain and down-to-earth in the way you dress. You like to have fun with your friends, and you enjoy socializing, so don't be surprised if you find yourself being part of a club. As an Inspector you tend to like to keep your personal space neat and comfortable. You tend to prefer and trust things that have stood the test of time, rather than some newly invented gadget.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cowboy_Ken said:
I'm an extreme extrovert. And an extreme tortoise/animal keeper. Karen, my wife, is more of an introvert.
We were shopping at a store which specializes in paintings, (Karen was shopping, I was looking bored) in under 15 minutes the owner of the shop was telling me her life story and all about the trials she was going through with her kids. While this was going on, the FedEx delivery showed up, and we both knew each other and had to interact as well. Karen was getting tired of this gal sharing her story with me and we left. When we got in the car, Karen was like, “Really Ken, everyone needs to be your best friend?" We both agreed though, that I had done nothing to encourage her, and that people just find me comfortable to be with. People remember me and most end up seeing pictures of my tortoises.

All that said, Karen and I would both rather stay home. We like where we live, and we like hanging out with our pets.
We host summer weekend bashes here at the, “Circle Double K Ranch" during the summer months, and we have guests that fly in just to camp for the weekend at our place and have been doing so for 5+ years.

Well we already established on your "Personal Promotion" thread that you ARE a GREAT guy!

I have to say that I enjoy talking you every time we speak. :)

I even like your family for goodness sake!

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
I tend to be a bit of both. Extroverted in the sense that I am always out doing something if I can, hiking at the park, hanging with boyfriend, wandering the neighborhood etc.
But I am Introverted in the way of personality. I tend to prefer to be a bit of a loner, and I have extreme patience and stillness when it comes to animals. I am content sitting in the grass watching Vod trample things in her path, inspect something new, try and climb a rock, she's an interesting animal. And though she needs some work to become an outgoing Russian, I am content to sit and watch her. She may never be like a dog, but I bought a tortoise, not a dog. So if I'm feeling friendly and adventurous, I go be extroverted with my dogs, and if I feel like being at home, and being reclusive, I go watch Vodka take a few laps around my yard.

I like to say I have an even mixture of the two :)

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
That test says I'm a rational architect but then it doesn't explain anything too me. What a tease haha

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Introversion/extroversion is an innate part of our temperament, and not changeable over time. Thus, we are born at some point on the introversion/extroversion spectrum, and stay around that point our whole lives. It's thought that this is because of an inborn part of how our brains work. Basically, your brain either filters out a lot of stimulation, or else lets a lot of it in. If you have a very active filter, then you need more stimulation to feel at equilibrium, making you an extrovert. However, if your filter is less active, then you already feel at equilibrium with less excitement, and are therefore an introvert.

Geo, I'm not so sure about this, maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but personality tests, and my own experience, all show that I have changed from an extreme introvert to an extrovert.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Spn785 said:
GeoTerraTestudo said:

Geo, I'm not so sure about this, maybe I'm the exception to the rule, but personality tests, and my own experience, all show that I have changed from an extreme introvert to an extrovert.

Personality has two components: character and temperament. Character is something that can change over time as we learn to navigate our way through the world. Temperament, however, is inborn and not very changeable. Personality tests like Myers-Briggs and others are supposed to be testing temperament. If your results change from one time you've taken the test to another, then try to determine which of your answers are the most accurate, and use the results from that test.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Personality has two components: character and temperament. Character is something that can change over time as we learn to navigate our way through the world. Temperament, however, is inborn and not very changeable. Personality tests like Myers-Briggs and others are supposed to be testing temperament. If your results change from one time you've taken the test to another, then try to determine which of your answers are the most accurate, and use the results from that test.

Geo, I know what you are saying, but my answers were accurate for when I took the test in High School, and though my answers changed they are accurate now. I changed.

I also want to apologize to the OP for getting off subject.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Spn785 said:
Geo, I know what you are saying, but my answers were accurate for when I took the test in High School, and though my answers changed they are accurate now. I changed.

I also want to apologize to the OP for getting off subject.

LOL ... Well then somebody must've operated on the pons of your brainstem while you were sleeping sometime after high school, making you more extroverted now! :D

Okay, back to business. :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
This thread is so fascinating to me. I'm an introvert with a job that requires me to be an extrovert. When I come home from work, nothing helps me recharge better than grabbing a lawn chair and glass of ice tea and watching my torts explore the yard for a half hour. I bet if you took my blood pressure before and after, you'd see it drop. I'm sure other beloved pets have the same impact, but there's something special about torts, and the slow and deliberate way they move, that's especially calming and endearing to me.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I love tortoises because they are peaceful and calm and are just happy to bask in the sun and graze all day. Tortoises prefer a more introverted lifestyle so it would stand to reason that some may seek them out because of that.

I myself am outgoing and talkative at the many functions I have to attend for the kids or my husbands work but I do find it draining and my whole family prefers pajama Sundays home to anything else that might be going on.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I took the test it says that I am an "Artisan Performer (ESFP)" whatever the heck that means...hopefully it's good. lol

farber2028

5 Year Member
Iowa
This thread should be come sticky. Pretty interesting!

For anybody that has taken the test and the website decides to not show your results, there is a way to find it. At the top of the page next to the contact us button there's one called The Four Temperaments. From there you should be able to find the one that you scored out to be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.