The Mother of All Tortoise Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

solstitialis

5 Year Member
Can you give me some info on the oil heater you use? What brand? Are they really a low fire risk?

I currently keep my tortoise in a rubbermaid storage shed like the one you have pictured but I would like to build him something a bit nicer and yours looks fairly simple to duplicate. Thanks for posting!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
laura808 said:
Your daughter is so cute!!! how many animals do you have??

Oh good lord... a whole bunch. I'm an animal trainer by trade, so all I do is mess with animals all day every day.

Thanks for complimenting my little girl. Every father thinks their little one is the cutest. I bet your dad does too.

solstitialis said:
Can you give me some info on the oil heater you use? What brand? Are they really a low fire risk?

I currently keep my tortoise in a rubbermaid storage shed like the one you have pictured but I would like to build him something a bit nicer and yours looks fairly simple to duplicate. Thanks for posting!

They are relatively safe. Most of them have a tip over shut off switch and if you keep them on low, they don't get hot enough to start a fire. I have a friend who used one in a plain, 3', plywood cube tort box. It rested up against the plywood inside the box and his tort would rest up against the heater with no problems. You can see I took lots of extra precautions with mine. Also, even though they draw a lot of power when they are on (600 watts on low), in a well insulated box they only come on two or three times a night. I'm using a watt meter right now to compare usage with this to a couple of heat mats that are always on, but using less electricity. Temps have been in the 40's here, but even with my thermostat set to 80, that heater rarely comes on...

... and I've got some happy torts.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
It looks wonderful! Sounds like the torts are very happy :)
Your daughter is so adorable!

REXANNismyprettygirl

5 Year Member
Arizona
WOW!!! that is definately the mother of all tort houses!! :D I think I will share your handywork with my husband so he has an idea of what I am looking for in Rexann's new house!! hehehe

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
THE GURU I SAY! Is there any doubt?!?!? Nice work Tom (but really...I expected nothing less)!

solstitialis

5 Year Member
Tom said:
laura808 said:

Oh good lord... a whole bunch. I'm an animal trainer by trade, so all I do is mess with animals all day every day.

Thanks for complimenting my little girl. Every father thinks their little one is the cutest. I bet your dad does too.

solstitialis said:

They are relatively safe. Most of them have a tip over shut off switch and if you keep them on low, they don't get hot enough to start a fire. I have a friend who used one in a plain, 3', plywood cube tort box. It rested up against the plywood inside the box and his tort would rest up against the heater with no problems. You can see I took lots of extra precautions with mine. Also, even though they draw a lot of power when they are on (600 watts on low), in a well insulated box they only come on two or three times a night. I'm using a watt meter right now to compare usage with this to a couple of heat mats that are always on, but using less electricity. Temps have been in the 40's here, but even with my thermostat set to 80, that heater rarely comes on...

What kind/brand thermostat are you using?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Extremely innovative and well designed. I like the idea of the build in heater; very smart design!!! ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
solstitialis said:
Tom said:
laura808 said:

solstitialis said:

What kind/brand thermostat are you using?

Its called "A Life 1000 Watt Thermostat". I bought them from LLL Reptile. I've bought around 10 of them over the last couple of years and they all work great on a variety of electrical products.

tortoises101 said:
Extremely innovative and well designed. I like the idea of the build in heater; very smart design!!! ;)

Thank you. I spent A LOT of time thinking about every aspect of it. Took me around two weeks to actually build and finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.