The new pond(s)

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
This had to be done…. We’re moving. But this specific location for the ponds was a direct result of wife. My wife’s exact words….”I want to hear the water noise from our bedroom .”
#1. Had to level the sights for each pond. Each pond’s bottom is buried exactly to the same measurement. This is to allow gravity to push water through filters.
#2. Put 2 inches of sand where each pond was located to protect bottoms.
#3. Lay pond liner plastic over sand, to further protect bottoms.
#4. Put up ponds, get wrinkles out and level legs.
#5. Hook up 300 gallon Ibc tote to pond for filtration

Attachments

• 37A9C492-3279-4692-8385-80972FFE317A.jpeg
    37A9C492-3279-4692-8385-80972FFE317A.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 99FC2C42-0C29-4868-85AF-BF93C8FD2E81.jpeg
    99FC2C42-0C29-4868-85AF-BF93C8FD2E81.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 7C142F6F-E402-4BB7-8B79-11391F1369B0.jpeg
    7C142F6F-E402-4BB7-8B79-11391F1369B0.jpeg
    765.3 KB · Views: 2

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So here’s the view from her bedroom window….. The smaller two ponds are 1700 gallons and will be used for Turtles to separate the sexes. Each one will have fencing to allow Turtles to come out on land to bask. The one on the left has the turtles now waiting for burmation. In the spring I will hook it up to the other ponds and separate. The larger is 6000 gallons and will be for fish. Right now there are 78 fish in there. It will take about 6 weeks for the filters to clear up the water. Now the dirt will be pushed back around the ponds. Whew what a project

Attachments

• DB73F840-D261-43D0-9BB0-58AF0A513975.jpeg
    DB73F840-D261-43D0-9BB0-58AF0A513975.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 3

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
OMG, Dana! You're doing this by yourself?

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This and a 48'x48' chicken coop, re-plumb our house, install hot water heater, all new faucets, fixtures, shower heads, install wood stove, re-roof house and laundry room. The home was empty for over a decade so the ceilings are destroyed, get to re-do all of that as well. Wish I knew so much about ponds when we put a filter on your pond Yvonne. Your pond still going? Need a filter upgrade?
Both my wife and I are against breeding of any animals, there are thousands of homeless animals. For this reason the males will be separate of females. It boggles our minds when a "Rescue" breeds animals or allows it to happen.........uhhhh that don't make sense. The 2 turtle ponds will only hold about 10 turtles per pond. We know this will not be enough room for the onslaught of Red Eared Sliders. Every year a festival gives baby RES away as prizes to kids. Then as the parents drive the 15 miles next to the lake on there way home....a ha let the turtle go in the lake. That way they don't have to care for it, of course Turtles live in lakes, so easy. Then some fisherman catches a turtle on his hook. Our biggest issue is the electrical cost of pumps running. Trying to run a 10,000 gallon pond system on less than 8 amps.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
This and a 48'x48' chicken coop, re-plumb our house, install hot water heater, all new faucets, fixtures, shower heads, install wood stove, re-roof house and laundry room. The home was empty for over a decade so the ceilings are destroyed, get to re-do all of that as well. Wish I knew so much about ponds when we put a filter on your pond Yvonne. Your pond still going? Need a filter upgrade?
Both my wife and I are against breeding of any animals, there are thousands of homeless animals. For this reason the males will be separate of females. It boggles our minds when a "Rescue" breeds animals or allows it to happen.........uhhhh that don't make sense. The 2 turtle ponds will only hold about 10 turtles per pond. We know this will not be enough room for the onslaught of Red Eared Sliders. Every year a festival gives baby RES away as prizes to kids. Then as the parents drive the 15 miles next to the lake on there way home....a ha let the turtle go in the lake. That way they don't have to care for it, of course Turtles live in lakes, so easy. Then some fisherman catches a turtle on his hook. Our biggest issue is the electrical cost of pumps running. Trying to run a 10,000 gallon pond system on less than 8 amps.
Just WOW on all that work.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

WORD

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Excellent.
I'm using INTEK pools as fish ponds right now.
With shade cloth to protect the liner from the UV rays of the south Florida sun, they've held up extremely well

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220_192648_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220_192648_Facebook.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 3

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
So I have found this "Myth" about above ground pools don't work as ponds to be half true. Intex pool liners are thicker than almost all other manufactures. They will just like all others fail though without preventive measures to block the UV. Just as mentioned above shade cloth works well. The biggest failure point is where the vertical support poles go. Lots of stress and high point for UV exposure. Personally I put Gorilla Black Duct Tape over all the tops of the pool/pond. This blocks the rays and adds support in a high failure point. Love that Deck ZEROPILOT, gives me great ideas.