The Reptile Community tear's itself apart

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I take my dog, Misty, out two or three times during the night to pee. It is NEVER totally dark outside at night (I live in the country with no lights). Even when the moon is just a sliver, there is some light at night. A black light is just like moon light. All of my tortoises are sleeping at night. None of them comes out and says, "Hm-m-m ... that lighting makes my substrate look like something I want to eat!" No, they sleep at night, they don't come out and eat or wander.
All I use are black heat lamps.

M

Maggie Cummings

lol at her bumping the bed.
blb's are cheap and keep the animal warm consistently. Lisa, it's nice to hear Y and I aren't the only one's. The darn things work good at what we need them for. IMHO

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
lol at her bumping the bed.
blb's are cheap and keep the animal warm consistently. Lisa, it's nice to hear Y and I aren't the only one's. The darn things work good at what we need them for. IMHO
I find they last quite a long time too! I've always used them and always have spares in hand. I tried Che a couple times but just don't like them.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Night heat (CHE BLB etc) is one of the exact topics that reptile peeps tear each other apart over.

Yvonne put into words what I've always thought about BLBs. Moon light and it's never pitch black out. I haven't used them but that was always on my mind.

I personally used a CHE on a thermostat (never without a thermostat) because "I" WANTED IT PITCH BLACK AT NIGHT and the chamber was IN MY bedroom. :cool: I found the CHE I thermostat to work perfect. So it was a win win.

I wouldn't oppose others who use BLBs. I would dialogue with those who use red bulbs. But dialogue, debate, discussion are all good things... Beating with harsh words and demeaning attitudes never profit anyone.
Obviously, that is harder to interpret through text so I'm mostly speaking in generalities.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
If I'm chuckling at you forgive me. So I went and counted. I have 11 habitats in the house, all with an MVB and a black light bulb for night time heat. That's some 22 lights, most on timers. Then I have the tort shed, it's got 4 lights on timers, and a pig blanket on a rheostat. Most of the MVB are on timers, so yeah, I know about the switch. giggle. This ain't my first rodeo. I 'think' I just need the one thermostat you told me about for the baby's CHE. I don't like or approve of CHE. I've had 2 animals fried by one. Just f'ing crisp. And my sis has used black light bulbs for 40 years. So do I. Yes, I realize that doesn't make it right, but my sis and I have never seen or heard of any damage from them. We've been told tortoises can't see that spectrum of light. Tom disapproves of them. He says they CAN see the light and (I think) he said it disturbs their sleep. When I check on them during the night some are asleep under the bulbs using the heat, the Russian stays away from it, then I remembered they don't care for it warm at night. So she's more comfortable now that I turn it off at night. Anyway the last 2 nights I've used a black light bulb (BLB from now on), on the baby and her bin stayed right between 80 and 85. Now that's exactly what I want. So, frankly, I think the blb will work better for me.
I am trying like hell to do follow Tom's closed chamber dictate. I've mostly raised Gopherus agassizii, never used a closed chamber and I've head started several hundred babies or close to it over the years (or so it seems). But this time I'm fostering that smooth Sulcata, well, 2 actually, so for the first time in my tortoise keeping I am really trying to stay as close to Tom's chambers as I can. Fact, I made a 2 chamber habitat with a hot bright side and a hot humid side, tube was between them. Both have lids. Thought I was making a nice fancy place for her to live. But she spent most of her time in the darn 70 degree tube. Now she's contained on the really humid side and she's eating better and being more active.
One time I had about 20 (give or take)desert babies and they were a lot less trouble than this one little Sulcata. The 2 year old Sulcata, Daisy Mae, now lives in Bob's shed, I mean the tort shed, because she's a horrible brat, I can see Bob's mischievous energy floating around her. Because she couldn't stand being contained in a stock tank, she would push a heavy rock over to the side, climb on the rock, fight her way up the side and over onto the floor. Never saw anything like it, so she's living in the 20'X12' tort shed, and seems happy as can be. She's growing like a weed. Lots of personality, but very shy. So I'm working on it.
Oh, jeez, I've been just going on haven't I? Sorry adios....

i was just asking because i have a spare thermostat i'd send to you if you needed it lol but since you have so many habitats i think you'd need more then 1 lol i love CHE but that's just me we're all entitled to our own thoughts and opinions as we both said before what works for you may not work for me and vice versa

do black light bulbs have a focal point like red bulbs i've never used black light bulbs but i've used red light bulbs

O-o-ops! Sorry - I didn't realize the subject category. Sorry for taking it off topic.

it's fine no worries. and i know exactly what you mean by when a 75lb dog bumps the bed you wake up lol i have a 82 pound american bull dog/bull terrier mix who is scared of dang near everything and will go flying into the bed shaking and trying to get under the covers to hide lol

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Night heat (CHE BLB etc) is one of the exact topics that reptile peeps tear each other apart over.

Yvonne put into words what I've always thought about BLBs. Moon light and it's never pitch black out. I haven't used them but that was always on my mind.

I personally used a CHE on a thermostat (never without a thermostat) because "I" WANTED IT PITCH BLACK AT NIGHT and the chamber was IN MY bedroom. :cool: I found the CHE I thermostat to work perfect. .

mine was in the bedroom to and i wanted it pitch black at night to lol that's why i started using CHE and thermostats now that it's in the living room i suppose it doesn't really matter as long as what ever it was i used worked but i'm so stuck on CHE with thermostat's now i'll probably never go back. your old hydro farm thermostat has made a world of difference to me lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
do black light bulbs have a focal point like red bulbs i've never used black light bulbs but i've used red light bulbs

No. The black lights I buy are regular incandescent bulbs only they are made with dark blue glass, not clear glass.

41h8zlIkFWL._SY445_.jpg

I think I know which red bulb you're talking about. I use these in my outdoor shed to heat up the shed at night:

mJScHPLkmHc1tWVuaSsVP8w.jpg

The red bulb is NOTHING like the moon light.