The Tort Crew keeping warm

Jimb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, Co.
Since it'll be a few months before it's warm enough for them to go outside, I made Tazer & Mudflap a Sunning Spot for when they're free-roaming the Den. :)

TheTorts12_25_17a.JPG
Dang cable won't stay tucked outa the way. LOL!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jimb, are you trying to get a rise out of people and see what kind of trouble you can stir up? If yes, I don't find it funny.
  1. Tortoises should never be running loose on the floor. Many of them get sick, injured, impacted or killed this way, so say the reptile vets that I work with. And conditions down on the floor are never correct for a tortoise.
  2. Species should never be mixed both for disease potential and for behavioral reasons.
  3. Tortoise should never be kept in pairs.
  4. You have a bright red electrical cord dangling right in front of them. You think they are not going to bite it?
Please keep your tortoises safe and in their own enclosures. You've been here long enough to know these things and see the perils of doing what you have depicted there. What gives?

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
The first thing I did when I saw this was look to check if this was an old thread made on April fools.

Seeing that is was not, I really must know why you are keeping them like this.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Jimb, are you trying to get a rise out of people and see what kind of trouble you can stir up? If yes, I don't find it funny.
  1. Tortoises should never be running loose on the floor. Many of them get sick, injured, impacted or killed this way, so say the reptile vets that I work with. And conditions down on the floor are never correct for a tortoise.
  2. Species should never be mixed both for disease potential and for behavioral reasons.
  3. Tortoise should never be kept in pairs.
  4. You have a bright red electrical cord dangling right in front of them. You think they are not going to bite it?
Please keep your tortoises safe and in their own enclosures. You've been here long enough to know these things and see the perils of doing what you have depicted there. What gives?

OMG ... Nothing better to so I guess. I won't be posting here any more. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
The first thing I did when I saw this thread was look to see if this was an old thread made on April fools.

Seeing that is was not, I really must know why you are keeping them like this.

I don't "KEEP" them like this. Geeeze, take a breath.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
I don't "KEEP" them like this. Geeeze, take a breath.
If you don't "keep" them like this, why are they there at all? If you have an enclosure that meets their separate care requirements, I see no reason to put them together into a potentially hazardous environment like you have.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OMG ... Nothing better to so I guess. I won't be posting here any more. Sorry if I offended anyone.
It has nothing to do with offending anyone. It has to do with endangering your tortoises and risking their lives in multiple ways.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
Ok, everyone please stop making assumptions.

1) They aren't 'kept' together, this was for photo purposes only and I was sitting right beside them so no danger of them biting each other or the cord
without me intervening.
2) They are both very healthy torts according to my Vet. and they pose no health risk to each other under my supervision.
3) They each have their own enclosure or Table so 99% of the time they are kept separate.
4) Whether they're inside or outside, they are never left unsupervised.
5) This is how I have raised my Torts without any issues, however I do not suggest anyone do as I do. To each his own.

This is all I'm going to say on this subject so go ahead and criticize me and my posts all you want. I've grown tired of it.
Ask an Admin to expel me if you wish. I'm here to show how awesome my Torts are and to enjoy the posts of others.
I don't believe I've ever posted a photo of my Torts in "Dangerous or unhealthy" conditions. I protect them and the rest
of my 'critters' none-stop. You've said your piece about it so please move on to making assumptions about someone else.
Now I know you have to have the last word, so go ahead and have at it if it'll make you happy

Tazer12_26_17a.JPG .

Mudflap12_20_17a.JPG

Bee62

Germany
HooHooHoo, .... says Santa Claus ....
No it`s not Christmas any more but please calm down on both sides. Please !
No one should be offended or expelled.
Please stay with us @Jimb and keep on posting pics of your lucky, beautiful and healthy torts but not on the floor because beginners could take it wrong.

Sabine

Kasia

Poland

1) They aren't 'kept' together, this was for photo purposes only and I was sitting right beside them so no danger of them biting each other or the cord
without me intervening.
2) They are both very healthy torts according to my Vet. and they pose no health risk to each other under my supervision.
3) They each have their own enclosure or Table so 99% of the time they are kept separate.
5) This is how I have raised my Torts without any issues, however I do not suggest anyone do as I do. To each his own.

This is all I'm going to say on this subject so go ahead and criticize me and my posts all you want. I've grown tired of it.
Ask an Admin to expel me if you wish. I'm here to show how awesome my Torts are and to enjoy the posts of others.
I don't believe I've ever posted a photo of my Torts in "Dangerous or unhealthy" conditions. I protect them and the rest
of my 'critters' none-stop. You've said your piece about it so please move on to making assumptions about someone else.
Now I know you have to have the last word, so go ahead and have at it if it'll make you happy

View attachment 226066 .

View attachment 226067
@Jimb I LOVE your pics and comments. Please give more grumpy Tazer and Mudflap to their fateful fans (me;)). Loads of people are happy looking on what you and your critters are up to;);) It shows that their are well taken care off ;)

Bee62

Germany
@Jimb I LOVE your pics and comments. Please give more grumpy Tazer and Mudflap to their fateful fans (me;)). Loads of people are happy looking on what you and your critters are up to;);) It shows that their are well taken care off ;)
Totally agree ! Please don`t stop posting !:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

without me intervening.

Jim,

What is the point of a forum like this? Why have a thing like this where people can converse back and forth? I'm sure it has different purposes for different people. Some want to learn. Some want to teach. Some just want to converse with like minded people who share this fascination and obsession with Chelonians. And there are those who want to be mean and hurtful. For me, it is all but the last one.

I've been doing this stuff a long time. I've caused a lot of tortoise problems and seen other people cause a lot of problems. These things happened because I was ignorant. I didn't know what could go wrong, and there was no one telling me. There was no internet or online forums back then. We stumbled around in the dark. When we tripped on something and hurt ourselves, we learned to watch out for those obstacles, figuratively speaking, of course. Nowadays, with the internet and forums like this one, people don't have to learn the hard way, by tripping on things in the dark. People who have already tripped, and watched others trip, can warn other people before it is too late.

First, I am not assuming anything. I'm going strictly on what you showed in your picture, which was a laundry list of everything not to do. It was as if you read the beginners mistakes thread and then put as many mistakes into one picture as you could. I really thought you were making a joke.

Second, I have no desire or need to criticize, belittle, insult, or make you feel bad in any way. All of those are counterproductive to my previously stated goal of helping others learn the lessons that I had to learn the hard way, before it is too late. I comment because I see a train wreck coming, and I want you, and anyone reading or looking at your picture to realize what is going on, with the sole goal of preventing a disaster I have seen many times before and personally experienced myself. I don't want you to be expelled or leave the forum. I want the exact opposite of that. I want you to stick around and learn from the first hand experience of people who have been keeping tortoises for decades and made plenty of their own mistakes in the past.

Last thing, I get no joy from having the last word. I get joy from getting my point across and preventing a disaster I've seen many times before. I continue conversations like these so that the recipient (you), and any spectators get the full message and understand where I am coming from, and what my intentions in commenting are. What you are doing there is dangerous, and if you keep doing it, you will likely suffer the same fate that I have suffered in the past and that everyone else who does those things suffers. I don't want you, or anyone reading, to have to suffer and I don't want to see your tortoises, which I completely agree are awesome, to suffer or die because you didn't know the things I am telling you and didn't realize the danger you are putting them in. Its like telling a little kid not to touch a hot object because it will burn them. Some percentage of kids have to get burned to learn this lesson. Doesn't mean I shouldn't try to warn them all before they get burned, right? Now I'm not calling you a kid, I'm just using the kid analogy to make my point. Some people can't be reached for a variety of reasons, but I am compelled to try because some people can be reached.

I don't want to argue, hurt feelings, or make enemies. I also don't want to see tortoises get sick, injured or killed. I could just click "like" on your picture and move along keeping my opinions and experience to myself. That would certainly be easier than this, but how would I feel if something bad happened that I could have prevented by typing a few sentences? That's not me. I gotta speak up. Some people are upset by it, but many more are grateful. I'm sad about the ones who get upset, but I'm thrilled by the many more who are grateful and don't get "burned".

biyeshengplay

Beijing,China
Jim,

What is the point of a forum like this? Why have a thing like this where people can converse back and forth? I'm sure it has different purposes for different people. Some want to learn. Some want to teach. Some just want to converse with like minded people who share this fascination and obsession with Chelonians. And there are those who want to be mean and hurtful. For me, it is all but the last one.

I've been doing this stuff a long time. I've caused a lot of tortoise problems and seen other people cause a lot of problems. These things happened because I was ignorant. I didn't know what could go wrong, and there was no one telling me. There was no internet or online forums back then. We stumbled around in the dark. When we tripped on something and hurt ourselves, we learned to watch out for those obstacles, figuratively speaking, of course. Nowadays, with the internet and forums like this one, people don't have to learn the hard way, by tripping on things in the dark. People who have already tripped, and watched others trip, can warn other people before it is too late.

First, I am not assuming anything. I'm going strictly on what you showed in your picture, which was a laundry list of everything not to do. It was as if you read the beginners mistakes thread and then put as many mistakes into one picture as you could. I really thought you were making a joke.

Second, I have no desire or need to criticize, belittle, insult, or make you feel bad in any way. All of those are counterproductive to my previously stated goal of helping others learn the lessons that I had to learn the hard way, before it is too late. I comment because I see a train wreck coming, and I want you, and anyone reading or looking at your picture to realize what is going on, with the sole goal of preventing a disaster I have seen many times before and personally experienced myself. I don't want you to be expelled or leave the forum. I want the exact opposite of that. I want you to stick around and learn from the first hand experience of people who have been keeping tortoises for decades and made plenty of their own mistakes in the past.

Last thing, I get no joy from having the last word. I get joy from getting my point across and preventing a disaster I've seen many times before. I continue conversations like these so that the recipient (you), and any spectators get the full message and understand where I am coming from, and what my intentions in commenting are. What you are doing there is dangerous, and if you keep doing it, you will likely suffer the same fate that I have suffered in the past and that everyone else who does those things suffers. I don't want you, or anyone reading, to have to suffer and I don't want to see your tortoises, which I completely agree are awesome, to suffer or die because you didn't know the things I am telling you and didn't realize the danger you are putting them in. Its like telling a little kid not to touch a hot object because it will burn them. Some percentage of kids have to get burned to learn this lesson. Doesn't mean I shouldn't try to warn them all before they get burned, right? Now I'm not calling you a kid, I'm just using the kid analogy to make my point. Some people can't be reached for a variety of reasons, but I am compelled to try because some people can be reached.

I don't want to argue, hurt feelings, or make enemies. I also don't want to see tortoises get sick, injured or killed. I could just click "like" on your picture and move along keeping my opinions and experience to myself. That would certainly be easier than this, but how would I feel if something bad happened that I could have prevented by typing a few sentences? That's not me. I gotta speak up. Some people are upset by it, but many more are grateful. I'm sad about the ones who get upset, but I'm thrilled by the many more who are grateful and don't get "burned".

I like your attitude, but I think you are over nervous. We all live with danger, but the fact is not all dangerous things will happen. Some things we do is not that dangerous like you told, and what we do is not what we always do! Just take it easy.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I like your attitude, but I think you are over nervous. We all live with danger, but the fact is not all dangerous things will happen. Some things we do is not that dangerous like you told, and what we do is not what we always do! Just take it easy.
I think there is a difference between living with danger, and "creating dangerous situations".

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you had seen what I have seen over the years I've seen it, you might think differently.