The Truth About Tortoise Keeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Arizona
Unfortunately a lot of people go into the world of reptiles not knowing what they are getting themselves into. You most definitely have to be prepared and fully think it out before you just jump into it. I will be honest here. I have done a lot of things wrong in the past but I have been and will continue to change that. I found this article very interesting and it was something I forwarded to all of my friends and family who see my cute little tortoises and immediately think that they are equipped to care for these animals. Sometimes I think having tortoises or turtles is often more of a hobby then it is having a pet. It's hard work when you are doing it right and I wish more people understood that!

Here's the link!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I understand the intent and the point of your post. I read the article and the comments that followed. One thing this article and its comments reaffirmed is that the world is full of ignorant people where animals, tortoises or otherwise, are concerned.

Mark did a similar thread to this a few weeks ago and some good discussion followed. Basically, my feeling is that the words "difficult" or "easy" are very subjective. To me and many others providing enough space and the correct environment for many species of tortoises IS easy. Very easy in comparison to keeping some other animals that I've kept. Granted the world is full of misinformation and ignorant "experts", and this complicates this issue greatly. In my opinion, we shouldn't be labeling turtles and tortoise as "easy" or "difficult" to keep and maintain. We should simply be spelling out to the best of our ability exactly what IS required to maintain them correctly. Let the prospective keeper decide whether it is "easy" or not, once they know what is really involved. Educate people. Be honest about what will be needed. Don't be afraid to tell people they are not suited or prepared to keep a live animal yet. (Something I do frequently.) Do our best help people understand how to care for their animals or animals they wish to obtain. But lets just not call it easy or difficult or hard work. I find it super easy to care for my tortoises. My easier than my camel. Much easier than lactating dairy cows. Much easier than birds of prey. Much easier than any primate. Etc... Other people comment on how much work it is, and that they would not want something so labor and spcae intensive. Its all relative.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I so agree with Tom here. Caring for live animals of any kind takes work. All the people who give up their family dogs because they are "too much work". They make messes, you have to feed them and walk them and they actually require social interaction. To them that is work, to me it is enjoyable and doesn't seem like a burden. Same with my reptiles. I could spend hours in my reptile room "working" because I love it. Again, I think Tom is right on when he says it is relative.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I agree that it is relative, but I also think that there needs to be a little reality check here. There is an entire industry that is still selling animals that DO require some effort and attention as 'easy care' pets. People looking for pets have been conditioned to categorize them- just like plants or plastic model kits- into easy, moderate, or difficult.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom, but I get and understand Madkins007 thoughts too. I live in an area not ideally suited for the leopard I have. However, I bought him knowing what I would have to do when or if he got too big for me to bring inside for the winter months. Is my location harder or easier then say someone in Cali? Most would say harder for sure. I consider it fun, a fun challenge and enjoyment designing and redesigning for his big outdoor winter home, like i did for his indoor homes. To me it's not hard, just going to be more expensive and I figured on that too. Luckily, with this forum, I have lots of knowledgeable members willing to share their thoughts with me. If you enjoy taking care of an animal, do your home work, then its not hard or easy, it's just enjoyable fun.:)

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
He just wrote the things that HEcan't permit for a tort. That he can't manage temperatures and stuff does not mean anybody can't? :p

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Wow, that guy went through alot of turtles and tortoises!
I like the article. Its a good "lessons learned" piece on what not to do.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I liked your article Kylie, and think it should be posted in every pet store for people to read before they buy that cute little turtle or tortoise. And I agree that most people have no concept of what it means to take care of one and think they are easy/cheap and can just live outside in your yard with little to no care. The article makes a good point and could potentially save the lives of some cute little specimens.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I have not read the article yet, but the comments here point out another aspect of this discussion.

A red-footed tortoise is easy for someone living in southern Florida on a large, planted, and fenced yard, as is a desert tortoise for people in the arid southwest. Just put them outside and let them go.

However, for someone living in other areas, the needs and difficulty change. This is one of my pet peeves with the pet care articles that suggest "do it my way, it works perfectly!" It might well work perfectly for that person in that situation, but that does not mean it can be generalized to fit everyone's needs equally well.

I cannot tell you how many articles I have read about how easy red-footeds are to keep, and the majority of them were written by someone who lived in a very red-foot-friendly climate. Trying the same stuff here in Omaha was not a lot of fun for me or the torts.

SmileyKylie623

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Arizona
Tom said:
I understand the intent and the point of your post. I read the article and the comments that followed. One thing this article and its comments reaffirmed is that the world is full of ignorant people where animals, tortoises or otherwise, are concerned.

Mark did a similar thread to this a few weeks ago and some good discussion followed. Basically, my feeling is that the words "difficult" or "easy" are very subjective. To me and many others providing enough space and the correct environment for many species of tortoises IS easy. Very easy in comparison to keeping some other animals that I've kept. Granted the world is full of misinformation and ignorant "experts", and this complicates this issue greatly. In my opinion, we shouldn't be labeling turtles and tortoise as "easy" or "difficult" to keep and maintain. We should simply be spelling out to the best of our ability exactly what IS required to maintain them correctly. Let the prospective keeper decide whether it is "easy" or not, once they know what is really involved. Educate people. Be honest about what will be needed. Don't be afraid to tell people they are not suited or prepared to keep a live animal yet. (Something I do frequently.) Do our best help people understand how to care for their animals or animals they wish to obtain. But lets just not call it easy or difficult or hard work. I find it super easy to care for my tortoises. My easier than my camel. Much easier than lactating dairy cows. Much easier than birds of prey. Much easier than any primate. Etc... Other people comment on how much work it is, and that they would not want something so labor and spcae intensive. Its all relative.

Well said! Thanks for your input!

DesertGrandma said:
I liked your article Kylie, and think it should be posted in every pet store for people to read before they buy that cute little turtle or tortoise. And I agree that most people have no concept of what it means to take care of one and think they are easy/cheap and can just live outside in your yard with little to no care. The article makes a good point and could potentially save the lives of some cute little specimens.

Thanks! I agree!

Just as with any pet, owning turtles and tortoises or even reptiles in general is not for everyone. Too many people see a cute little turtle and think they can just throw it in some water and it will be fine. I just wish more people were informed before getting a reptilian friend or really any animal for that mater! I was not a well informed Sulcata or Red eared slider owner the first few times around (when I was much younger) and I lost 2 RES and 2 sullies because of it. When Mr. Turtle, my current Sulcata, was basically forced on me I took it upon myself to learn EVERYTHING I could so that I would not fail again and so far so so good! I feel way more prepared and "qualified" this time. He couldn't be happier!

I most definitely agree that is is relative! Some of us find it easy to care for these amazing animals while others of us have had to struggle through it.

I see it as one of those problems in the world that is almost impossible to fix. Petsmart, or any pet store for that matter, will always sell these animals and will try to sell the wrong supplies and people will continue to not know any better until it is too late.
I too think that stores should post information like this so that people can really think before they commit.

Madkins007 said:
I agree that it is relative, but I also think that there needs to be a little reality check here. There is an entire industry that is still selling animals that DO require some effort and attention as 'easy care' pets. People looking for pets have been conditioned to categorize them- just like plants or plastic model kits- into easy, moderate, or difficult.

I love how you said this! You took the words right out of my mouth!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Tom said:

Great post! :cool:

Madkins007 said:
I have not read the article yet, but the comments here point out another aspect of this discussion.

A red-footed tortoise is easy for someone living in southern Florida on a large, planted, and fenced yard, as is a desert tortoise for people in the arid southwest. Just put them outside and let them go.

However, for someone living in other areas, the needs and difficulty change. This is one of my pet peeves with the pet care articles that suggest "do it my way, it works perfectly!" It might well work perfectly for that person in that situation, but that does not mean it can be generalized to fit everyone's needs equally well.

I cannot tell you how many articles I have read about how easy red-footeds are to keep, and the majority of them were written by someone who lived in a very red-foot-friendly climate. Trying the same stuff here in Omaha was not a lot of fun for me or the torts.

Absolutely...it's quite a bit easier to keep tortoises if you live in a similar environment to where your pet originated!

Status
Not open for further replies.