These plastrons ok?

timus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Was putting the kiddos back after a soaking and noticed that there was word looking spots on two of their plastrons. Hoping it’s nothing to worry about but am also worried it is something. Can anyone shed some light. The other two don’t have a blemish on their bottoms but spot and tiny do. The last pic is Olive who’s plastron looks fine. DDB55D81-5EB8-4930-A4FF-A6616761DC3F.jpeg146861AA-ACAF-48D5-97FD-7F47106E3F2A.jpegF3E7A731-B7E7-4451-8970-B717D59F368A.jpeg252C25CE-9F91-43F5-BCC0-72412163EB39.jpeg8D77DE94-43C8-4820-8AE6-16283ACBC95F.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What are you using for substrate ad how wet is it?

timus

5 Year Member
What are you using for substrate ad how wet is it?
I’m using orchid bark and I don’t keep it really wet. I spray it ever other day or so and give it a churning. On the days I spray it’s mostly dry on the top by the afternoon.

timus

5 Year Member
I sprayed the whole chamber this morning and on the warm end it is already dry from the spraying. The cooler end is still just a little damp. And this is how it’s been ever since I got them. Also soaked this morning and just pulled them out from a half buried hide and their plastrons were dry. I just can’t see where the substrate is causing this to happen.

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Was putting the kiddos back after a soaking and noticed that there was word looking spots on two of their plastrons. Hoping it’s nothing to worry about but am also worried it is something. Can anyone shed some light. The other two don’t have a blemish on their bottoms but spot and tiny do. The last pic is Olive who’s plastron looks fine. View attachment 334729View attachment 334731View attachment 334732View attachment 334733View attachment 334734
I am not an expert, but I can tell
You that you have some cuties! ? especially love the one in the 3rd pic… “ what the hek hooman?!!”

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First and second picture look like the start of shell rot or fungus. No need to be so worried, it's an easy fix. Stop spraying. You want the top layer of substrate to be dry. Instead, pour water into a corner so it flows down under the substrate, and replace as needed.

Wash off the plastrons and dry thoroughly. Then apply athlete foot cream to the spots and rub it in. See? Quick and easy. Do this daily or even a couple times a day and you'll see good results in no time.

timus

5 Year Member
First and second picture look like the start of shell rot or fungus. No need to be so worried, it's an easy fix. Stop spraying. You want the top layer of substrate to be dry. Instead, pour water into a corner so it flows down under the substrate, and replace as needed.

Wash off the plastrons and dry thoroughly. Then apply athlete foot cream to the spots and rub it in. See? Quick and easy. Do this daily or even a couple times a day and you'll see good results in no time.
Awesome!!! Thanks @Yvonne G! I’m about to do it now. I have a toothbrush, some warm water, and the foot cream. I figure I’ll wash off good, rub the cream in good and then leave them in a dry tub for a bit to let the cream go in before putting them back in the enclosure. That sound right?

timus

5 Year Member

I was over here thinking I was dialed in on my husbandry lol. So I will switch to just pouring water into the corners so it stays moist under and keeps the top dry. And I guess I’ll know if I need to add water when the humidity dips under where I want it to be. I just cleaned their bottoms with a toothbrush, dried them off, and applied to be cream. Now I have them in a 1020 tray sitting under the lights in the enclosure. I’ll put them back in after a little while. And I’ll repeat that tomorrow morning after the soak. Then I’ll do it again mid day and keep doing this until it looks cleared up. Couple that with my new water application method and hopefully I’ll be back on track. I do feel horrible though?

timus

5 Year Member

CF80156E-7F32-40A5-B701-F3B445D2190F.jpegThey don’t like it in the tray lol.