they are so busy now, I may never see them again

Becca267

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Texas
About a week ago I added a big pile of weeds, leaves and other leafy yard derbies to the turtle pen. I don't think I've seen much of either of the guys since. I pulled it up and there they were with all manor of creepy crawlies, especially pillbugs. Add to this the fig tree they live under has started dropping fruit and they have completely stopped eating what I'm providing.

I hate to waste food, so I'm considering cutting back what I give them to every few days until i see them touch it again (they haven't even walked through it). Should I be concerned or worried. I'm not since I figure they are eating their fill of figs and arthropods.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know a lot about Boxies, but it sounds like yours are enjoying what they are finding on their own. You might as well hold off on feeding. Maybe feed every third day unless they don't touch it then either then push it off more until when you feed them it actually gets touched. Then go back to your normal feeding routine.
I would check on them daily though, just to be sure they are okay.

Becca267

5 Year Member
North Texas
I don't know a lot about Boxies, but it sounds like yours are enjoying what they are finding on their own. You might as well hold off on feeding. Maybe feed every third day unless they don't touch it then either then push it off more until when you feed them it actually gets touched. Then go back to your normal feeding routine.
I would check on them daily though, just to be sure they are okay.
I fed them the day after I posted, and they ate the majority of what I put out. Next time...nothing. Silly turtles. Going to continue with every 3ish days (depending on the weather) until fig season is over or the eat every last scrap.

NickA

Mid Atlantic
Iv had times were mine will start to ignor there food pile because they are eating other things around the pen. So what I tried was instead of piling there food on their food rock I would take it and toss it all around the pen. put a few berries under different bushes and stuff like that to try and trigger a more natural foraging response and iv noticed when I check a few hours later most food is gone.