Thinking about creating a light ... doing a bit of "market research" ....

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Yarmouth, Maine USA
Hi Folks,
For the last year I have toyed with the idea of creating a light / lighting system that the UV is adjustable / or "tune-able" in.

Does anyone think this would be marketable?

Would anyone buy such a thing?

You could say I am doing a bit of market research on this.

Basically, it would be a fixture that you can adjust the UVB out-put on to suit the needs of your set up....

One feature I am looking at doing specifically for tortoise table or large set ups is :

to create a light that can hang over or be mounted out from the wall to hang over a larger table of floor sort of "free range" set ups.

It would be able to be loaded with with Arcadia's great 6%, 12% or 14% bulbs, up to 3 of them...
to project UV light FEET >>> not weenie inches. 🤗

So for instace a 24" , 46" or 48" fixture that has 3 x t5 bulbs in it would cover say 3 + to 6 +square feet of light and UVB.

Exampe : a fixture loaded with 3 x 14% bulbs hanging 14" - 30" over a pen would provide ample UVB at say 3.0 UVI.

And in a fixture, the UV would be "Tune-able" ...
so like for 2 feet of area under the 4 foot fixture , you would get like a 1.5 - 2.0 UVI (nice and "shady" ) and then an area of 3 or 4 UVI at the other end,
IF so desired.
To create those desirable UV GRADIENTS that allow the animal to CHOOSE, just like in Nayure.

It would have some other useful features too... keeping those secret for now. 😉

There is nothing else like this out there...
But it would cost a bundle to develop and market.🤯
So I want to figure out if I should do it or not ? ?

Any input as to whether I should "dive in" to this project ..... or any ideas would be useful & would be most helpful !
Thanks!
Cheers, Todd😁
lightyourreptiles.com

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can see a possible need for something like that for people who keep large tortoises in areas with frozen winters. I can't see any use for that in my tortoise keeping endeavors.

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
I can see a possible need for something like that for people who keep large tortoises in areas with frozen winters. I can't see any use for that in my tortoise keeping endeavors.
Your lucky! I am in Maine, and it IS challenging with all reptiles in the frozen North. LOL

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think there a limited market for advanced concepts like UV gradient or different UV zones in the same enclosure. I think many have trouble grasping the basics of reptile lighting generally so those that are really thinking beyond that are few. Those that are interested in it, are probably already DIYing it in some way.

If a market exists, I'd think it be for something akin to a hood/controller like those used over reef tanks. Something singular, plug/playish, and aesthetically pleasing. So more likely to be for other reptiles rather than tortoises.

Venutus1

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Yarmouth, Maine USA
I think there a limited market for advanced concepts like UV gradient or different UV zones in the same enclosure. I think many have trouble grasping the basics of reptile lighting generally so those that are really thinking beyond that are few. Those that are interested in it, are probably already DIYing it in some way.

If a market exists, I'd think it be for something akin to a hood/controller like those used over reef tanks. Something singular, plug/playish, and aesthetically pleasing. So more likely to be for other reptiles rather than tortoises.

Thank you for your ideas / input.

Yes, I agree that UV is allot for many hobbyists to wrap their minds around.

I also run into the "education factor" when trying to explain the need and application of correct lighting to bird hobbyists.
🤨
Adding correct lighting AND proper day / night cycles makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD to any animal kept inside... as you know. 👍

But is is hard to get that across to many reptile keepers.

(I persoanlly started using UV over my leopard and pancake tortoise in 1979..... using info taken from Zoo keepers books & papers.
Since there was absolutly NO information on the subject through mainstream pet information.)

" I'd think it be for something akin to a hood/controller like those used over reef tanks."

I agree adding in "Tech" would make folks feel like they are getting something "cutting edge".
But will push the cost up ...so that it becomes sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We shall see!
Onward!

Thank you.
Todd
lightyourreptiles.com