Third tortoise to be....

conghey

Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
Greetings everyone! I'm new here, and also new to this hobby. I really enjoy caring for this tortoise and treat them as family and part of my daily life. I happen to have 2 tortoises as of now, 1 sulcata (tutti) and 1 redfoot (frutti) they're name was given by my wife and daughter. To cut my introduction short, my question is if I would to get a 3rd tortoise in addition to our growing family of 4, what would it be??

My choices per level of desire are: 1.Leopard, 2.Indian star, or the least 3. either a sulcata or redfoot again.

All of them would be housed separately of course given their own proper temp, humid, diet etc.

Thanks and really enjoying this forum by the way lots of things I learned came here, I visit everyday, :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Either one is a good choice. However, the sulcata needs lots more room as they get much bigger then the others. I would stick to only one of those. The Redfoot are one of the calmer, less aggressive species. If you got another one, there's a slight chance the two could live together.
The leopard, well one of my faves, still needs lots of room but not destructive and won't dig big burrows. I don't know anything about the Stars except they are pretty.

conghey

Manila, Philippines
Thanks for the quick reply wellington, I think I agree with you to stick with one sulcata, it's just that it's cheap and very available that's why i'm tempted on getting another one. Now it boils down to either another redfoot for a chance of living it together or a leopard and indian star for a different variety of species. hmmmmm

conghey

Manila, Philippines
Hello Maro2Bear, I live in the city so maybe a pair of sulcatas would be a problem in the long run so I think one is enough I agree with wellington, planning to get either another redfoot or a leopard for variety of species. But still haven't decided yet because I heard leopard is a little bit hard to take care of compare to redfoot's or sulcata's.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Leopards are mostly weed eaters, should have very very very little protein or fruit, and if they haven't been raised proerly, they might die without your fault. Been there myself. I now have two wonderful redfoots and they are so much easier to feed in the winter when fresh weeds are just gone under snow and so on. My two are getting along fine, but I'm always on the lookout for problems. They were brought up together from the same breeder even if they are different sizes, and that might have something to do with it.