This is not an experiment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I have made plenty of mistakes over the years. I'd like to think I have learned from them and moved on. I use fish tanks, restrict air flow, use dirt, use leaves, use hotspots, supplement with Mazuri, during the winter I buy store greens/veggies and feed them until they are full once a day, during the summer I leave them to feed on the lawn as much as they want to graze with little to no supplementing, I don't heat the room, plenty of moister in their homes, soak the younger ones a few times a week and spray daily, no water bowls in their homes, the adults get watered once every one to two weeks, summertime- they have a full water bowl outside at all times,..........

I live in Michigan so I have adjusted things for four seasons each year. I have even housed my adult Sulcatas in a 4'X4' box in an unheated/uninsulated detached garage for many winters and they grew/nested with no ill effects. I have spent $0 on a vet for anything that I caused from housing or feeding.

Here are some of my tortoise homes...this is what I start with for my tortoises now. I have tried many things in the past...including indoor open pens. I use these for all ages, Sulcatas, Leopard and Stars. As my herd grows, I will require more space which is planned for the garage. In general, it will be one big encloser with dividers to separate groups/individuals.

Star.jpg

Sulcata.jpg

Hatchling.jpg

Adults.jpg

This is the incubator I use...
Incubator.jpg

I believe I get great growth and heavy, healthy tortoises. My Sulcatas produce well for a young size and age - I hope my Stars continue to adults in the same way.

I don't run formal experiments...I just adjust to what my tortoises show me and keep doing what works.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
OMG!!! Don't you know they will all die in glass tanks? And they need a ton of ventilation too! Its true. I read it on the internet.

... I guess you noticed the recent threats about giant "incubation" chambers. Great examples of how to do it. I love your covers with the handles and light fixtures built in.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you must have a HUGE garage if you plan on having sulcatas and leopards living in there..
what kind of ourdoor space do you have?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
"what kind of ourdoor space do you have?"
I have a 24'X24' garage that at least 12'X24' will be for tortoises. Right now, the grazing pen is about 20'X60' and that will increase a little over time. I am working with what I have, but I'd like to move eventually.

"OMG!!! Don't you know..."
Thanks, Tom. I wish I could be honest with everyone and they don't take it personal like you!:p

"... I guess you noticed the recent threats about giant "incubation" chambers."
I wish them the best of luck. I would spend time understanding the methods of how to control humidity and the like first and then apply it to a new setup instead of trying to adjust a design that was never intended to work in that way. We all have to go in our own directions and make our own mistakes, right?

"That lid on your big fish tank. How'd you make it?"
The clear one is some kind of plastic sheet from Home Depot. It is light weight, but flimsy. A real pain to cut to size:(. It worked for what it was intended to do. I tried to improve a little with the white lids. I had an unfinished wood door on the incubator and it warped so I had to replace it. There is a plastic company by me and I looked there for something that was not expensive and would save me time. The white stuff is actually cutting board material and the cheapest material there. They cut to size and everything. It insulated as well as the wood door did and did not warp. I drilled and screwed holes for the hinges and handle. The threads hold very well though I would not suggest removing and replacing the screw often. Since it worked so well with the incubator, I made a lid with the same material. It's much firmer than the clear plastic and very easy to work with. It is heavier which is better, but I would not want it heavier. One of the factors in the design of these lids is the ease of access. Using the handles they pivot open very nice without the bulbs/lights hitting anything. The hatchling lid actually flips over with hinges and then the whole lid can slide back and forth with ease. I am very happy with the way they turned out and function very well for a long time now.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Love the 'cutting board' door and lid...GREAT idea! I like people who think outside the box...and against the grain of what the majority rules correct. Keep up the good work and keep us posted as your habitat (and collection) continues to grow!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great set ups. I can see a sulcata in one of the pictures among the mist lol, would you be willing to do a close up of some of your tortoises?

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Neal Butler said:
Great set ups. I can see a sulcata in one of the pictures among the mist lol, would you be willing to do a close up of some of your tortoises?

You can checkout the Star Tortoise section for a recent post of my Stars. I have many pictures on this forum and in the gallery. (or do a search - LOL, EJ)

Here is a link to my photobucket...
Hit all albums to see the sub albums

I will see what I can do about getting new pictures of the Sulcatas for ya.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
kbaker said:
I have many pictures on this forum and in the gallery. (or do a search - LOL, EJ)

Well, you got a couple good laughs out of me on that one.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
KBaker, you said you live in michigan and you keep sulcatas in an unheated garage during the winter?? I always thought Michigan was as cold as New england, (which is where I live) I cant beleive they dont freeze solid!!! at the very least get SICK! wow I am floored! Its true, alot of what you do is not recomended ANYWHERE but if it works for you who are we to judge.... I keep mixed species together and have been Scolded but it works for me....good luck

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
did you build or buy the incubator? If you built it, did you know how or learn somewhere on the net, I would like to build my own soon, and was just wondering.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
So do you actually Hibernate' your sulcatas? I heard that mentioned somewhere before.. that it can be done. I guess if any tort gets cold enough they slow down...
i guess this is a question for the debate section.. pros/cons... healthy??
just because you can, doesnt mean you should...
but it appears to work out ok in this case. ..

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
"So do you actually Hibernate' your sulcatas?"
No, No, No,....They do not and I do not try to hibernate them. Yes, January is bitter cold - single digits. The point I was making is you don't have to heat the room to have a tortoise encloser in it. The box was made from 3/4" sheets of wood lined with FRP. With the right set up, they had no problems enjoying winter. On the other hand, I froze my butt off going into the garage to clean and feed!!:D

"did you build or buy the incubator?"
I converted an old monitor cage into the incubator. I put two closet shelves in from Home Depot and used a heat cord and thermostat. I would say it is pretty simple.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Excellent pictures! I've been doing this for over 30 years with my boxies, and although new to tortoises, had great success with my Cherry Head using the same concept for the last three years. I also put a lot of plants in my vivariums, and I find this holds the humidity so well, that I have to leave a small hole in the corner of the cover and open it every now and then to release some of the humidity, as I can't see in the tanks.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Neal Butler said:

I added some pictures for you, Neal.
Sulcata Picture Album

You can compare some older pictures, too. All three are pretty close to the same age - going on two years. Pearl grew quick and started to have issue with pyramiding. Franklin did not harden as quickly. Apricot had the best growth from the start. They have lived together the whole time. You can also see were I stopped spraying and soaking regularly. Ouch - can't stop that!! :p

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Good crap those are some smooth shells! Apricot has a real nice "dusty" color to his shell, If I ever end up with a sulcata I would like one like that.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Great pics K. Really nice looking torts. Do you have an opinion on what the "magic" size is for sulcatas when humidity and spraying is no longer such a necessity? I've heard 6-8" from some people. Apparently, you never get "out of the woods" with redfoots.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
Tom said:
Do you have an opinion on what the "magic" size is for sulcatas when humidity and spraying is no longer such a necessity? I've heard 6-8" from some people.

The largest out of the three is Pearl and she is not 5", yet. And I don't think she is out of the woods, yet. Ask me next year when they are in the 6-8" range. Actually, they will spend more time outside during the summer with less soaking and spraying, so we will see how that goes. Of course that will rearrange the 'balance' of things...:p...right now they are inside and I believe I have everything close to perfect for them. They are growing well, nice shells and are heavy bricks.

Tom, can you get some update pictures of yours - Leo's and Sullies?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Keith don't you know that you need to make everything much more complex and scientificized!!!!!

If it works in MI.. it will work anywhere on the PLANET.. just 'tweek' accordingly. But then again.. too bad common sense isn't. [ think outside your 'brain'/experiences gang ]

Misting?.. you can stop once they bury you dead!

Good job Keith.....

NERD

Status
Not open for further replies.