THIS JUST HAPPENED!!!

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I love the pictures. I love that newly hatched baby turtle face. I can tell you blew up the pictures by the size of the tile pictures.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ok so I'm trying to do the math on this thing, on avg it takes 90 days to Hatch, I put my turtles into hibernation in November, and I don't remember having any turtles in that area in October but let's just say she was in there in October. That's about 6 months, I can't figure this out. They were only about 4-5 inches in the ground and there's no doubt they just hatched because the last one I got out of the hole was still halfway in the egg. That's double the time people say it takes.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Ok so I'm trying to do the math on this thing, on avg it takes 90 days to Hatch, I put my turtles into hibernation in November, and I don't remember having any turtles in that area in October but let's just say she was in there in October. That's about 6 months, I can't figure this out. They were only about 4-5 inches in the ground and there's no doubt they just hatched because the last one I got out of the hole was still halfway in the egg. That's double the time people say it takes.
I've got some math for you.
5 hatchlings minus the 2 you're going to mail me is 3 for you and 2 for me.

The cold must have put them into some sort of stall or hibernation in the egg. The most plausible explanation to me is the development slowed may way down during the coldest part and started back up once they reached a certain temp. I've got no clue as I've never breed anything but that makes the most sense to me.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Turtles have been known to survive being frozen for quite long periods and I have read the they have a glycol-like antifreeze in their eggs which is also sometimes found in very young ones, but disappears after the first year or so.
I read a lot about cryogenics.
Fascinating stuff.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
So this little one that isn't much bigger than a nickel was the last one to pop out, his shell is still really curved from the egg and I have found him already flipped over 7 times today. He is extremely active and I would hate to loose him, he climbs the side of everything and that causes the flip, because the high dome he can't flip back yet. Any suggestions?

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Put some dirt in he will just bury himself, he feels vulnerable, that's the reason he trying to get out. /when that young they basically hide. Just 2 inches of dirt should do. That is just an educated opinion, but I am pretty sure that would do it.