THOUGHTS ON DRIED WEEDS AND GELATIN

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use "Repashy super foods, grassland grazer tortoise gel premix" as part of a varied diet for my tortoises. see picture. The direction is 1 part mix to 3 parts water, boil, let cool and the gelatin sets it.

Being limited in the winter months to grocery greens, etc, this gives me one more thing to add to their diet. However, I don't really like some of the ingredients and would like to try making my own.

I would use weeds, grass, cactus, flowers, greens, any and all good things I can get my hands on and that will dry well. I would then dry all items, pulse them into a powder and mixing with unflavored gelatin powder and store in zip lock bags.

I want to mix it with the gelatin because it's more of a food when made up like the repashy, then just a powder sprinkled on other foods.

Has anyone done this? Any reason why this won't work or is not a good idea to feed?
@ascott @Yvonne G love your thoughts and everyone else's please. @Yellow Turtle01 you might be interested in this too

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
My first thought is about the high level of protien; even though the protien in gelatin is not highly "available", some is, and it is an odd animal protien not natural to a tortoise's diet. My concern would not prevent using it a little (like 3 % of the diet).

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, I just realized I never posted the picture. Here it is.
fd0cfba12a0a3846474007629c21373a.jpg
Well that didn't come out as clear as it had looked. If you want to know ingredients, you will have to look them up, sorry.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
What is the protien, carbohydrate, and fat breakdown of that product?

Is there any reason to think it is better than something like Mazuri?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Have you thought about using agar in place of gelatin?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I use Mazuri too. Being in the north, I like to find and feed as much variety as I can. The repashy is a very small portion of the diet, more like a once every two months treat. Because I'm not thrilled with the ingredients, I would like to make my own that is all natural.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Crude protein min. 15%, fat, 3%, fiber max 30%, moisture max 8%, ash max 9% calcium min. 1.5%. Everything else listed are just ingredients. Could not find any fat or carbs. It does say on the package that it's a low protein, high fiber.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I use "Repashy super foods, grassland grazer tortoise gel premix" as part of a varied diet for my tortoises. see picture. The direction is 1 part mix to 3 parts water, boil, let cool and the gelatin sets it.

Being limited in the winter months to grocery greens, etc, this gives me one more thing to add to their diet. However, I don't really like some of the ingredients and would like to try making my own.

I would use weeds, grass, cactus, flowers, greens, any and all good things I can get my hands on and that will dry well. I would then dry all items, pulse them into a powder and mixing with unflavored gelatin powder and store in zip lock bags.

I want to mix it with the gelatin because it's more of a food when made up like the repashy, then just a powder sprinkled on other foods.

Has anyone done this? Any reason why this won't work or is not a good idea to feed?
@ascott @Yvonne G love your thoughts and everyone else's please. @Yellow Turtle01 you might be interested in this too

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tortoise-lasagne.19944/

This is also a good reference....:D