Thoughts on this enclosure?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Personally, I think it's awesome...can't see the lighting to see if it's correct...but I like it...put some edible plants and he will eat them, and destroy them...fun for him...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, here we go. . . and bear in mind, I only have your tortoise's best interest in mind and I'm not picking on you personally.

I can see you've put a lot of thought into a nice place for your tortoise to live. Here's what I see:

1. Your tortoise is probably about 8 to 10 years of age, wild caught and almost full grown
2. Russian tortoises probably won't eat brussels sprouts
3. Those dishes are for lizards and snakes, reptiles that have bendable or flexible bodies. Tortoises have hard shells and in order to reach over the sides of those bowls they have to stretch their neck out further than they feel safe doing. Also, if they do manage to climb inside, then when they climb back out they tend to over compensate and tip over backwards into the water. A clay plant saucer that you sink down into the substrate is much safer
4. Your substrate is very dry. Your almost full grown russian doesn't need a wet or real moist substrate, but it you do moisten it A LITTLE BIT it keeps down the dust
5. The aquarium isn't nearly big enough for an almost full grown russian tortoise. They are wanderers. It is hard wired into their little pea brain to wander over great distances in search of food. Doesn't matter that the food is right there for them, they need to wander to satisfy that craving to wander.
6. Your gauge is up too high. It should be down at tortoise level.

Please read our care sheet for russian tortoises. You'll find it at the top of our Russian section, or you can just click here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

1583174023472.png

Reactions: Tom

Flanman

Fishers Indiana
Ok, here we go. . . and bear in mind, I only have your tortoise's best interest in mind and I'm not picking on you personally.

I can see you've put a lot of thought into a nice place for your tortoise to live. Here's what I see:

1. Your tortoise is probably about 8 to 10 years of age, wild caught and almost full grown
2. Russian tortoises probably won't eat brussels sprouts
3. Those dishes are for lizards and snakes, reptiles that have bendable or flexible bodies. Tortoises have hard shells and in order to reach over the sides of those bowls they have to stretch their neck out further than they feel safe doing. Also, if they do manage to climb inside, then when they climb back out they tend to over compensate and tip over backwards into the water. A clay plant saucer that you sink down into the substrate is much safer
4. Your substrate is very dry. Your almost full grown russian doesn't need a wet or real moist substrate, but it you do moisten it A LITTLE BIT it keeps down the dust
5. The aquarium isn't nearly big enough for an almost full grown russian tortoise. They are wanderers. It is hard wired into their little pea brain to wander over great distances in search of food. Doesn't matter that the food is right there for them, they need to wander to satisfy that craving to wander.
6. Your gauge is up too high. It should be down at tortoise level.

Please read our care sheet for russian tortoises. You'll find it at the top of our Russian section, or you can just click here: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

View attachment 287215
Should I keep the mulch I have? I’m using it to absorb some heat for her basking spot and prevent her substrate from completely drying out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second and third everything Yvonne said. Please make changes asap specially with the size of the tank. Your tort needs no smaller then a 4x8 foot enclosure.
You can use the same substrate. Plain dirt and leaf litter is what I like using for mine

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Should I keep the mulch I have? I’m using it to absorb some heat for her basking spot and prevent her substrate from completely drying out.
Yes, but you need to wet it