Three year sulcata owner moving to North Carolina.

qixer01

10 Year Member!
I currently live in El Paso tx. Which is great sulcata weather. We are moving to North Carolina later this month. I don't know if I should try to sell my female sully or take her with me. Any ideas comments or concerns?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have read and seen in pics, the average temps in NC are not going to stop a sully from exploring outside. You will have to provide a nice warm place for him to retreat too, but that's not a big deal. There are Sullies and other african species living in snowy, cold Michigan, Illinois, and many other cold states. Depending on his size when you move, you may still be able to house him inside during the colder times, but when he is larger, he will be fine outside. There has been pics of Sullies in the snow.

prncessbleu

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I live in Virginia. The weather isnt always terriable. Its pretty nice here today actually.
My 2 1/2 year old female has grown up here. It takes a little imagination, but raising sullies here is doable!

qixer01

10 Year Member!
Ok thanks. I have a insulated dog house with heat mat and electric heater now. So I'm safe to say that same setup should work out ok in NC?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like you already have what you need. Take your sully with you and enjoy your new home and state:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
qixer01 said:
Ok thanks. I have a insulated dog house with heat mat and electric heater now. So I'm safe to say that same setup should work out ok in NC?

No. I don't think a dog house will do it in NC. Here is what I do: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

Also look at what Len does. He is not to too far from that part of the country and his sulcatas do very well.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Just so you know, it was 28F this morning in Raleigh. You will need to make arrangements for indoor housing from beginning October till early spring. Keep that in mind. All my tortoises have been inside since end of September.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
If it were me I would take my sulcata with me. There is no reason you can not build a suitable winter house for her or keep her inside. Moving there in the winter makes it a little more challenging to get the most desirable accommodations right away whether it be inside or outside. I bet by this time next year you will have it all worked out and your sulcata will be still be with you.

lighthiker2

5 Year Member
I am currently in Raleigh. While periodically through the Winter we will have "outdoor graze days" I concur that most of Nov-Mar will require indoor housing or a well insulated and heated shed for your Sully. How big is she?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I wouldn't hesitate bringing her with you. I am in the Northern Neck of Va on the Potomac River, I as of last Sunday, have 5 sulcatas staying outside full time. They range from a year and a half, to 17 years old. Walker (27inches) and Sylvia (19inches) each have their own area and houses, the 3 youngsters are together in a house that I just finished setting up. They seem to really enjoy coming out to eat, get a drink, wander around some, and then back in to warm up a couple times a day, instead of being in a smaller but constantly warm indoor enclosure.

argus333

5 Year Member
ya its no problem as long as u have some space. im in nj and keep sulcatas and leopards. sully stay out all yr. have big heated shed and now building homemade greenhouse attached for under $100.

prncessbleu

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would think that would work just fine. There may come a storm or two that you will have to modify. You'll know. I think you'll both adjust just fine!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Len said:
I wouldn't hesitate bringing her with you. I am in the Northern Neck of Va on the Potomac River, I as of last Sunday, have 5 sulcatas staying outside full time. They range from a year and a half, to 17 years old. Walker (27inches) and Sylvia (19inches) each have their own area and houses, the 3 youngsters are together in a house that I just finished setting up. They seem to really enjoy coming out to eat, get a drink, wander around some, and then back in to warm up a couple times a day, instead of being in a smaller but constantly warm indoor enclosure.
I meant to add these pics earlier, they were taken yesterday, the first is Walker, the second is Sylvia, and the last is the 3 youngsters in the small new area that will be increased in size as I feel more confident that they will use the house instead of snuggling in somewhere else in the enclosure.

Bryanvh

5 Year Member
Let me know how it is going, I am moving from CA to Charlotte at the end of May.