Ticks

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Ticks generally prefer some hosts over others, and their preferences in hosts may change with different stages of the tick's life cycle. However, if its preferred host species is not on the available menu, a hungry bloodsucking parasite may feed on other available, less-preferred hosts.
How about mosquitoes? Do they suck blood from tortoises? I have never seen one on Opo.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I was watching Kamp Kenan YouTube before for a while. His camp locates in South Florida, where he keeps a huge amount of tortoises and turtles. It seems that very often his tortoises have ticks. His friends' tortoises also have ticks. I thought ticks is a common issue in Florida...
Were the ticks small or did they get large full of tortoise blood?

KronksMom

Illinois
I never worry about ticks, or any other pests besides mosquitoes really, where I live. But every once in a while we'll go visit my family at their lake house in the Ozarks. I don't think we've ever come home without at least one person/dog having at least one tick. And they get chiggers there too. Those are way worse than mosquitoes!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Were the ticks small or did they get large full of tortoise blood?
Remember, Large is relative. Green pea size is plenty large for an engorged American tick. Those are normal. However, I don't know how normal our native ticks are in tortoise collections here in the U.S. It probably depends on where/how the tortoises are being kept, how observant and vigilant their keepers are, and how often the tortoises in question have the opportunity to completely submerge in water.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I never worry about ticks, or any other pests besides mosquitoes really, where I live. But every once in a while we'll go visit my family at their lake house in the Ozarks. I don't think we've ever come home without at least one person/dog having at least one tick. And they get chiggers there too. Those are way worse than mosquitoes!
You bet! My parents lived in the Smokey Mountains in NC. Chiggers were horrible.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
How about mosquitoes? Do they suck blood from tortoises? I have never seen one on Opo.

The short, oversimplified answer is: I'm not certain, but you probably don't have to worry about it.

Notes regarding that answer:
  • From me, short and oversimplified means that there are a lot of disclaimers (and background context) that I'm not going into at the moment.
  • The above short and oversimplified answer is specific to @Ray--Opo and includes consideration for what I am aware of regarding his tortoise/situation/husbandry, and also includes consideration for likely mosquito control measures in a neighborhood in his location in Florida.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The short, oversimplified answer is: I'm not certain, but you probably don't have to worry about it.

Notes regarding that answer:
  • From me, short and oversimplified means that there are a lot of disclaimers (and background context) that I'm not going into at the moment.
  • The above short and oversimplified answer is specific to @Ray--Opo and includes consideration for what I am aware of regarding his tortoise/situation/husbandry, and also includes consideration for likely mosquito control measures in a neighborhood in his location in Florida.
Either you are a lawyer or a politician!???

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I spent about 20 years (cumulative) working in state government, spread among three different agencies and different parts of those agencies. To some extent or other, I've provided technical assistance in every job I've had.

In other words... I've had to explain a lot of different stuff to a lot of different people with a lot of different backgrounds.

I'm not a lawyer or a politician, but I've had to deal with both.

I haven't been affiliated with government for a while now. So consider my background a resource, and I'll leave the disclosures there for the moment. :)