Ticks

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Wanting to know what all you guys are finding that works. We always have ticks, but it more me that gets them. In October, we moved to a new house pretty much right around the corner and across the street. It has been empty for years. The backyard and neighboring lot was used for horses. So yes, trees, tall grasses, shade and such. Backs up to a cornfield.

This last week alone, I removed over 30 ticks from my Newfoundland, another dog about 20, and so on. The dogs are only in the mowed area. With such numbers, I know I have to go chemical. Don't really want to spray the yard, but realizing I might have no choice.

What are you guys finding effective both on the yard and the dogs. Thinking one of the monthly pills.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
These work, They last at least 8 months. Cost on the last 2 I bought was $52 each. I started using them years back when I had 7 dogs and 4 indoor cats. And couldn't get rid of the fleas using any of the other products offered. And can't treat the yard because that's where I grow tortoise food. Haven't seen a tick or flea on any of the animals since.KIMG0737.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wanting to know what all you guys are finding that works. We always have ticks, but it more me that gets them. In October, we moved to a new house pretty much right around the corner and across the street. It has been empty for years. The backyard and neighboring lot was used for horses. So yes, trees, tall grasses, shade and such. Backs up to a cornfield.

This last week alone, I removed over 30 ticks from my Newfoundland, another dog about 20, and so on. The dogs are only in the mowed area. With such numbers, I know I have to go chemical. Don't really want to spray the yard, but realizing I might have no choice.

What are you guys finding effective both on the yard and the dogs. Thinking one of the monthly pills.
Guinea fowl. Seriously. There won't be a tick left on your place after a few days. Then you just have to tolerate their noise and poop. You can treat them a lot like chickens and coop them up at night and let them roam all day.

They also get rid of slugs, caterpillars, and snakes.

Insecticide will kill every insect on your place including all the beneficial ones, not to mention the toxicity to you and your other animals. No bees, no isopods, no mantids, no clean up crew. And it will never get all of the ticks. As soon as the toxicity subsides, the next wave of ticks will move right on in.

guinea-fowl.jpg

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Guinea fowl. Seriously. There won't be a tick left on your place after a few days. Then you just have to tolerate their noise and poop. You can treat them a lot like chickens and coop them up at night and let them roam all day.

Insecticide will kill every insect on your place including all the beneficial ones, not to mention the toxicity to you and your other animals. No bees, no isopods, no mantids, no clean up crew. And it will never get all of the ticks. As soon as the toxicity subsides, the next wave of ticks will move right on in.

View attachment 344250
I definitely agree with Tom. Guinea fowl are the way to go. We own some and we rarely see any ticks. We do still find them deep in the valley where the guineas dont go.... But, they are the noisiest bird I know! But after years of studying them I learned a trick. If you make a sound such as... "beebeebeebeebeebee" fast and loud then feed them you can train them to come when you make that sound. Then when they are making the annoying sound you can say that same sound such as... "beebeebeebee" and they will shut up. (Usually)...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

View attachment 344250
The coons and foxes would get them, not to mention my dogs. The killing every thing is why I didn't want to spray. I was thinking more towards a once a month pill.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
The coons and foxes would get them, not to mention my dogs. The killing every thing is why I didn't want to spray. I was thinking more towards a once a month pill.
Guineas are very fast. We have some and we have had a fox here for a while. The fox ate almost all the chickens but it could never catch the guineas. We also have dogs here and one of our dogs is a hunting dog and it kills our chickens. (Sometimes) but it rarely caught the guineas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As Thomas said... We have coons and foxes here too. And some super smart fearless coyotes. Every ranch here with the guinea fowl also has dogs. If they are locked up at night in their coop they will be safe. Nothing will catch them during the day.

The collars that Len suggested do work. I know several people that are using those. I just don't want to go anywhere near the animals wearing them.

Ticks can be a big problem here too. I've watched people try to deal with them many ways, and nothing has been as effective and quick as those birds.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I agree with both Tom and Thomas. Here where they are native (we call them tarentale), we see them a lot. They can easily jump upwards around 6m and then glide to escape. You do have the added benefit that you'll get free eggs from them. They'll like the tall grass, and coincedentally that's where you find the most ticks. Tarentale are especially fearsome when young are around, wild ones become like little cassowaries or death chickens
(The ticks are also a great excuse to get more animals)