Lyme disease testing Please Help!

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! I just moved to the city of Riverside and for the first time ever my dogs have ticks. So many!! We are doing everything we can to try to get rid of them from the yard and i spend Hours and hours everyday picking them off. Well unfortunately my baby boy Eli, had had ones as big as your finger pad and many many little ones i just dont understand. Well he has been acting very sick not him self. The groomers said he needs to be checked for Lyme disease which is the most common thing when ticks bite.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Were is riverside in the United States? If it's in the northeast you will need to test. If not limes disease is not present in west, Midwest, or south.

kmartin

central Florida
Check with your local animal shelter / ASPCA . A lot of times they use a 3DX snap test - it checks for lyme, heartworm and erlichia canis. Lyme is fairly easy to treat if caught early with a round of doxycycline. The snap test usually runs around $40. The price of meds depends on the size if dog. Oddly enough there are cases of Lyme being diagnosed all over the country, not just in dogs.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
Yes i know i cant afford that, i spent all my money and so much getting treatment for the backyard nd the groomers nd front line. I just dont have money. $40 is even alot :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Sorry but we cannot allow you to ask for donations through TFO. If we allow one person, we have to allow everyone. Thanks for your understanding.

MelissK

Were is riverside in the United States? If it's in the northeast you will need to test. If not limes disease is not present in west, Midwest, or south.

I got infected with Borrelia burgorferi (the organism that causes Lyme disease) in Simi Valley, CA in the early 1970s when I was in high school. I got sick, then got mostly better until my mid-30s, and have been sick ever since...and I will soon be 60. Borrelia and other organisms that cause Lyme-like illnesses are found in every state in the U.S. and in Canada...and pretty much everywhere around the world (there are over 300 species of Borrelia). There are lots of other organisms that live in ticks that can cause illness in the humans, dogs and cats they bite, so Borrelia (Lyme disease) is just one of many potential threats lurking in every tick.