Ticks on Redfoots?

Dėad Lee

I want to put my redfoot outside this summer, (I think, although I'm rural I still worry about kids stealing him), but my other big worry is ticks. my area is polluted with ticks, brown dog ticks and deer ticks, my father has got bit by a confirmed lyme disease carrying deer tick he got at the park, i know snakes get ticks, but do torts?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
I want to put my redfoot outside this summer, (I think, although I'm rural I still worry about kids stealing him), but my other big worry is ticks. my area is polluted with ticks, brown dog ticks and deer ticks, my father has got bit by a confirmed lyme disease carrying deer tick he got at the park, i know snakes get ticks, but do torts?

A warm welcome to the forum. :)

I'd never leave/put my tort outside. Anyone could - not only steal him/her - someone may even harm him/her. :(

Sorry, do not know whether or not torts get ticks. :( Hopefully a more experienced member will be able to give you an answer. ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A few years ago "they" stopped importing tortoises from Africa because of the deer tick. And we were not allowed to take our African tortoises across state lines without a vet certificate saying they were tick free. So, the answer is, yes, tortoises can get ticks.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Most ticks are host specific, so just because humans and dogs are getting bit, doesn't mean tortoises would be on the menu. If you live in a place with native tortoises, tortoise hungry tick species could be a problem - do you live in the Gopherus range?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Since ticks are usually species specific I would think ticks like dog and deer ticks wouldn't want a cold blooded host.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I copied this from the Tortoise Trust site. If they refer to how to get rid of a tick on a tortoise, that must mean that, yes, tortoises can get ticks:

Parasites: For any external parasites you can dip the tortoise in Alugan or diluted tritix (Amitraz) 1-2ml/litre. Ticks can be removed manually - coat with alcohol or vaseline, turn on its back to loosen its grip and pull off. Apply a little betadine to the spot where the tick was attached.

Dėad Lee

A warm welcome to the forum. :)

I'd never leave/put my tort outside. Anyone could - not only steal him/her - someone may even harm him/her. :(

Sorry, do not know whether or not torts get ticks. :( Hopefully a more experienced member will be able to give you an answer. ;)
Alot of people have outdoor enclosures...

Dėad Lee

And yes.
Kids love to steal tortoises.
Yea, i only have one kinda close neighbor, and his enclosure wI'll be wire tops and locked, and he probably would be out if I wasn't home. they leave them outside all the time in arizona , people must be nicer there

Dėad Lee

Most ticks are host specific, so just because humans and dogs are getting bit, doesn't mean tortoises would be on the menu. If you live in a place with native tortoises, tortoise hungry tick species could be a problem - do you live in the Gopherus range?
I don't think I do, we have turtles, box, snappers, wood, but i don't think any tortoises

Dėad Lee

I copied this from the Tortoise Trust site. If they refer to how to get rid of a tick on a tortoise, that must mean that, yes, tortoises can get ticks:

Parasites: For any external parasites you can dip the tortoise in Alugan or diluted tritix (Amitraz) 1-2ml/litre. Ticks can be removed manually - coat with alcohol or vaseline, turn on its back to loosen its grip and pull off. Apply a little betadine to the spot where the tick was attached.
Darn... :(

Dėad Lee

Yea, i know cats get dog ticks , but the dog tick prefers dogs, it goes after cats if there's no dogs... I hate ticks :(

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I live in a rural area in Texas. My dogs have gotten ticks, and I've found some on myself after walking through the field, but I've never seen them on a tortoise. It seems the ticks prefer long/thick grass, which the yard is usually cut short, so this may help if you have a tick problem.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Alot of people have outdoor enclosures...
Fair enough if you mean in an enclosure. Sorry, it seems that I didn't make things clear.

Some people just leave their torts to roam around a garden for example.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Any tick species especially the nymph stage will attach to any animal for a blood meal. The adults ticks are more host specific. Count the legs, if there are only 6 it is a nymph and will feed wherever. I have found a few ticks on my own tortoises that are kept outside for the warm months. Outdoor enclosure will promote better health for a tortoise w/ natural sunshine as opposed to being kept indoors entirely.