Time for a mate?

Bob’sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Petaluma, CA
Hi, I live in Petaluma, California with my 11 year old leopard tortoise. I'm wondering if it's time for him to have a friend or a mate?

Calaveras

Sacramento area California
In that part of California you should be able to find somebody with a girl Leopard tortoise that might want to be friends for the afternoon. I would not want to extend the relationship past supervised visits though. Keeping opposite sex tortoises more than doubles your effort. I would not keep them in the same yard

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I live in Petaluma, California with my 11 year old leopard tortoise. I'm wondering if it's time for him to have a friend or a mate?
Tortoises don't want or need friends. Other tortoises are seen as intruders, not friends.

If you want to breed, you'll need to find at least two females, quarantine them for six months away from each other and any other tortoises, and then introduce them all and see how it goes.

They should never be housed in pairs. If you want another one, make a separate pen for it. Here is an idea for a night box that could be shared, after quarantine, so you only have to heat one shelter: