Timothy hay cubes

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be fine. Don't know if a 5-6 month old would eat it yet or not. Most babies don't/won't eat hay until much older. Won't hurt to try. Soak it and be sure it's little pieces. Timothy can be very woody. If you can find the same or another form in orchard hay, that would be the better hay to buy if possible.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
How big are the cubes? If they are too small he might choke. My opinion

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 371086This is what s available here in my city/country.
Please guide if it's suitable for my 5-6 mnth old star.
@Tom
@wellington
View attachment 371086
I can't see the product or how finely ground up it is. I use hay pellets and those are finely ground and turn to mush when re-hydrated. That is what you need for a tiny baby. Cubes, even when rehydrated, will most likely be too coarse and the pieces will be too large.

I prefer orchard grass hay or Bermuda.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big are the cubes? If they are too small he might choke. My opinion
You hydrate them, not feed dry. If they are the same I used years ago, they are too big for anything but a large species adult but still should not be fed without soaking. It is small pieces, I just don't remember how small.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't see the product or how finely ground up it is. I use hay pellets and those are finely ground and turn to mush when re-hydrated. That is what you need for a tiny baby. Cubes, even when rehydrated, will most likely be too coarse and the pieces will be too large.

I prefer orchard grass hay or Bermuda.
They are small pieces, but I don't remember how small, so they should chop them up more if too big. I tried them years ago when my leopard was little. He was to little to even want hay at the time.

pinnie

India
We don't get fresh Timothy, Bermuda, Orchard grass/hay here. Visited few nurseries with no luck. Dint even find prickly pear. This is only available option I see for now.
My star is living on veggies only for now, rocket, bok choy, lettuces and more lettuces...won't even eat flowers or wild plants. I m desparately looking out for more options.
These cubes arent small pieces...quite big chunks, but I ll soak and hydrate them enough before feeding. If gets rejected I ll try mixing with his othr food.
Thank you people here. You guys being here is such a relief...I know I can come running to you'll whenever stuck with my star.
Gratitude.
@Tom
@wellington