TIMOTHY HAY FOR A HIDE

Gracieheart

Location (City and/or State)
essex
HEY

I'm sure I read some where that I could use timothy hay for a hide for my leopard tortoices.
Would this be ok?
Now it's getting a bit colder I wanted to put some of this into their hides .... would this be OK?

Thanks

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings..

I wouldn’t suggest timothy be used inside your humid hide. The timothy will quickly get moldy/mildewy - hopefully you have a fully closed enclosure and can work to increase the overall humidity with proper substrate.

I’m sure you have seen this info in the “how to care for a leopard or sully” section :

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

• Humid Hide Boxes: This offers the tortoise a more humid place to retreat to and sleep and can simulate some of the more damp micro-climates they might utilize in the wild. It is as simple as getting a $2 black dishwashing tub from Walmart, flipping it upside down and cutting out a small door hole. I keep the substrate under the tub more damp than the surrounding substrate and it works great. You can also use plastic shoe boxes. Some people like to put sphagnum moss in their hides or attach a sponge to the top. This is all fine, but I usually don't bother. This is a short paragraph, but this is a very important detail that should not be overlooked.

• Substrate: I recommend coco coir, orchid bark, cypress mulch, plain additive free soil, or yard dirt if yours is suitable. All of these can be purchased in bulk at most hardware or garden center stores at a tremendous savings. I recommend against wood shavings or chips, ground walnut shell, corn cob bedding, rabbit pellets, compressed grass pellet bedding, newspaper pellets, hay, cedar, or any amount of sand.

Happy Torting

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It could be a fire hazard under hot bulbs, che etc. so I wouldn't risk it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Agree with the above.
Also, it will not help a cold blooded tortoise keep warm. And it soaks up and retains stinky waste.
However, hay is good as a short term transport medium.( If you need to place a tortoise in a box for travel such as to the vet.)