Tiny white flowers?

PA2019

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tucson, AZ
This plant has started popping up around the edge of the tort pens this week. Doesn't look like chickweed to me though. Anyone recognize it?IMG_0210.JPGIMG_0211.JPG

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
It does look like chickweed, the one I have here has much smaller leaves though but i believe that they come in different forms depending on where they grow

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
This plant has started popping up around the edge of the tort pens this week. Doesn't look like chickweed to me though. Anyone recognize it?View attachment 217131View attachment 217132
I looked again at your images and the flower ... looks like Pentas... never seen chickweed with clustered flowers like that... I hope we get more voices on this one:)

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I looked again at your images and the flower ... looks like Pentas... never seen chickweed with clustered flowers like that... I hope we get more voices on this one:)

That was my thought too. Clustered flowers doesn't match with photos of chickweed that I have seen...

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
If it's Florida Pusley, gopher tortoises eat the heck out of this weed. Seems to be safe for them.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Florida Pusley does have a clustered cup shaped flower like your picture. This is the flowering roadside weed often called Florida snow.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Florida Pusley does have a clustered cup shaped flower like your picture. This is the flowering roadside weed often called Florida snow.

So you're post made me curious about the kinds of plants gopher tortoises eat around Florida. If they eat it, why cant my stars?

I found a pdf on gopherus-friendly plants if anyone is interested. It has a solid breakdown on which plants they go for, and even lists levels of forage importance for each plant. Apologies if this pdf is already listed on TFO.

http://myfwc.com/media/2953251/ForagePlant.pdf

Florida Pusley is mentioned as a very high forage item so I've decided to grow some patches directly in the pens. It is worth noting that gopher torts might have immunity or resistance to certain native plants, but googling toxicity levels should be easy to verify before feeding.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I've never fed this to my redfoots. Between my hibiscus bushes and my low maintenance high weed lawn, I have plenty of free food for my pets of the last 25 years.