Tiny's enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pueblo West
DSCN0933.JPGDSCN0934.JPGThis is Tiny enclosure for this winter- I took 2 54 gal rubbermaid tubs and joined them together. There is a ceramic heat emitter over his hidie and a sun glow mercury vapor for basking. He has cyprus mulch for bedding. Water dish and food dish (which are getting swapped out when new flat dishes arrive)I let him roam around the house for more exercise for a few hrs, we even got to go outside today on the deck as it was nice and toastie out there ( he loved it I might add)
so any thoughts anything I should add or delete?

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You do need a much larger water dish. The clay saucers that goes under flower pots work great. Also the flat food dish you said you were waiting for, although a flat rock or piece of slat or Matt tile works good. Helps to keep the beak filed down if its not high gloss glazed. Not sure how big your guy is, but some humidity or a humid hide. Otherwise looks great. Oh, a few plants might be nice. Give him more security

M

Maggie Cummings

You do need a larger water dish. Small torts like to soak their whole body while drinking. But I like it, as it's big enough and fairly clever

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
wellington said:
You do need a much larger water dish. The clay saucers that goes under flower pots work great. Also the flat food dish you said you were waiting for, although a flat rock or piece of slat or Matt tile works good. Helps to keep the beak filed down if its not high gloss glazed. Not sure how big your guy is, but some humidity or a humid hide. Otherwise looks great. Oh, a few plants might be nice. Give him more security
How do I get humid hide?or what do I use?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The Rubbermaid box that you have in the enclosure is what I used to create a humid hide. Yours just needs the moisture. You will want to add materials, like moss or coconut coir, that can hold the moisture, but you already have the basics.

I would suggest that you cover as much of the top of the enclosure as you can. Maybe use some plexiglass. Careful not to let it get too hot for the tortoise, but you want to be able to raise the humidity in the enclosure and hold the humidity in when you do raise it.

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Today I am adding a few plants I have put in a bigger food dish and going on the hunt for a bigger water dish as the ones that came in the mail I think are too shallow (garden stores seem to have packed their clay stuff away shheeesh dont they know there are tortoise owners out there who need them)will post new pics when it is finished. Oh and going to put cyprus mulch over the hidie

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
DSCN0938.JPGDSCN0939.JPGok so this is what I added. A bigger ceramic water dish a bigger reptile feed bowl (shallow) a bigger hide with coconut coir inside and leftover coir on top I added some plants

Last edited by a moderator:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks good to me. However, your sulcata is going to outgrow that and probably very quickly. :p

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
lushcious said:
Nice! What do you use to fill the gap in between the two boxes?
do you mean the 54 gal tubs? if yes then there is a piece from the sides that was cut out placed between the two and then alot of duct tape to hold in place. I did use a heat gun to heat the plastic up to get it to mold better before duct taping

Neal said:
Looks good to me. However, your sulcata is going to outgrow that and probably very quickly. :p

yes I know he is going to grow but it is the solution to this winter :)

ShervyBaby

5 Year Member
Maryland/DC
sueb4653 said:
This is Tiny enclosure for this winter- I took 2 54 gal rubbermaid tubs and joined them together. There is a ceramic heat emitter over his hidie and a sun glow mercury vapor for basking. He has cyprus mulch for bedding. Water dish and food dish (which are getting swapped out when new flat dishes arrive)I let him roam around the house for more exercise for a few hrs, we even got to go outside today on the deck as it was nice and toastie out there ( he loved it I might add)

what did you use to cut the containers?

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
ShervyBaby said:
sueb4653 said:
This is Tiny enclosure for this winter- I took 2 54 gal rubbermaid tubs and joined them together. There is a ceramic heat emitter over his hidie and a sun glow mercury vapor for basking. He has cyprus mulch for bedding. Water dish and food dish (which are getting swapped out when new flat dishes arrive)I let him roam around the house for more exercise for a few hrs, we even got to go outside today on the deck as it was nice and toastie out there ( he loved it I might add)

what did you use to cut the containers?
A knife the ones that you can replace the blades in, it was hard going but I got it eventually you could probably use some sort of power tool

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Tin snips or metal cutters will work too. Still not easy though. I <3 duct tape! Very nice job! You can cut the lids in half and use them to cover the end of the bins the lights are not on. Also you could cover the whatever side you don't have the light turned on during day/night to help keep in some heat and humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.