tips for safe protein?

Ellen & Toby

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire, UK
Boiled egg is a great protein source, my Toby loves it. I mash it up including the shell and he gobbles it up! I've also heard of people using plain chicken (cooked without using any oils etc) however I found Toby turned his nose up at this (strange little critter! :rolleyes:). He also enjoys snails and worms, hope this helps :)

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
Meal worms and crickets - live or freeze-dried. Chicken & Turkey. Hard Boiled egg. A good brand of dog or cat food. Flukers has a combination freeze-dried crickets and meal worms. I use this. I bought it through Amazon.

AmberD

Ontario
Mine LOVES butterworms. Will eat them if they are in the dish before anything else.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I’ve used freeze dried river shrimp, thawed pinky mice, black soldier fly larvae (super worms), canned fish & venison, butter worms, wax worms, and on...

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What do you guys think about feeding tortoises with water turtle pellets/sticks?

Bee62

Germany
What do you guys think about feeding tortoises with water turtle pellets/sticks?
Pellets/sticks for water turtles are mostly very high in protein and that is not good for most tortoises.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
Medusa - my African sideneck - hates pellets, so I feed him slivers of defrosted frozen chicken heart, or small pinkie mice. At one point, I wondered if my redfoots would eat chicken heart as well, so I gave some to Tank Girl. She didn't want to eat it, but Embers did. Now Tank Girl will eat some as well. I handfeed the chicken heart slivers so they don't loose the supplement dust or end up with coco coir topping. Tank Girl is now more used to being hand fed, so I think that's why she eats it now.
I also feed plenty of mushrooms and an occational serving of green peas. Then dog food or some rodent food with plenty of fibre in it.
Mine doesn't really like boiled eggs. I think fish would be fine too, but I haven't tried that yet.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Is tuna in water ok? I give cooked frozen shrimp since the guy that gave me my torts had a fresh bag.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Pellets/sticks for water turtles are mostly very high in protein and that is not good for most tortoises.
Not that I'm saying the pellets are ok but......chicken, egg, worms are all very high in protein. That' the point of protein food.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There are many options for protein with a Redfoot.
In the wild, they eat a lot of carrion. Dead animals on the forest floor.
Mine will eat ANYTHING! But I generally feed dog food (because I have a dog and some high quality dog food always on hand) And whole, boiled eggs. Sometimes Mazuri mixed with mealworms. But most lean meats, insects, dog or cat food will work.
Redfoot can handle a very large variety of foods. More so than any species that I'm aware of.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is tuna in water ok? I give cooked frozen shrimp since the guy that gave me my torts had a fresh bag.
I wouldn't think that some occasion tuna in water would hurt.
My issue is with ants because my herd is outdoors.
I can't give them food that will attract ants. I've fought very hard to win the war on ants. And as of now I'm winning.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Redfoot are an exception to a lot of tortoise rules. Protein can make up 20% of the diet.
Yes I know that

My point was the poster said water turtle pellets are too high in protein. Not higher than the chicken I feed my redfoot!