Tips on FOUND Russian Toutoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeMarie

5 Year Member
Hello,

I found, what I believe is a Russian tortoise. He was in my backyard and I also believe he was somebody's pet, but he was throw Into my backyard. I walked around my backyard and there was noway he could've went under the fence. Anyways, I try giving it leafs, fruits, and water but hit does not eat or drink and was wondering what I should do..

Attachments

• image-647925309.png
    image-647925309.png
    814.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-750450851.png
    image-750450851.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 63

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Amazing as it sounds he could have simply climbed the fence into your backyard or found some space that looks way to tiny for him to squeeze through. Have you placed found tortoise ads? Called local Vets and Animal Control? Asked in the neighborhood? Does he have paint on him or is it just the pictures making it look that way?

Have you tried warm soaks (just to where the water meets where his two sheels join) for about 15 mins and keeping the water warm? How warm are you keeping him? A cold tortoise will not eat. No fruits. What greens have you tried?

GeeMarie

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Amazing as it sounds he could have simply climbed the fence into your backyard or found some space that looks way to tiny for him to squeeze through. Have you placed found tortoise ads? Called local Vets and Animal Control? Asked in the neighborhood? Does he have paint on him or is it just the pictures making it look that way?

Have you tried warm soaks (just to where the water meets where his two sheels join) for about 15 mins and keeping the water warm? How warm are you keeping him? A cold tortoise will not eat. No fruits. What greens have you tried?

we tried ice burg lettuce. Tried some carrot. We even tried apples. We did notice he went to the back door to get some sun light. So maybe he has been cold. We found him with paint. Red and green, so he is somebody's pet. But, I had my brother go ask the neighbors (sides and back neighbors) and they said no they don't own a turtle. but, they could climb? 😮

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In the pics it looks like he has paint residue on his shell? Red and such? Does it look like that to you or is it just the pic?

Regardless of how he found his way into your yard...he is likely a bit stressed....I would set him up in a warm, quiet place and let him settle a bit....where are you located? I mean are your temps warm right now?

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

oooppps, meant to attach in my prior post....

GeeMarie

5 Year Member
ascott said:
In the pics it looks like he has paint residue on his shell? Red and such? Does it look like that to you or is it just the pic?

Regardless of how he found his way into your yard...he is likely a bit stressed....I would set him up in a warm, quiet place and let him settle a bit....where are you located? I mean are your temps warm right now?

http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm

oooppps, meant to attach in my prior post....

Yes, I have soaked him. Well tried to. He won't stay in the water. & Yes he is painted red and green. & ok great. I will go buy a small heating lamp. & he has been roaming my house and likes sit my the back door under the sun and then he goes to a dark corner face in and sleeps for hours. I also noticed, well roaming, he does try to climb Up my feet. Also, I had my nephews over last night and they fell asleep on the floor. And the tortoise cuddle up with them... I thought that was adorable!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They don't necessarily like to be soaked, but dehydration can be a problem, it is just good for them.
sounds like your tortoise is trying to get warm. They won't eat, they can't digest, if they are not warm enough.

Get a 50 gallon rubbermaid container at a place like Home Depot. Also get a bag of organic topsoil (not potting soil) and dump it in. Get a piece of slate, or tile, or flat rock and position it on one end in the soil.
Get a clay pot base, slightly larger than your tortoise, for a water dish. A large enough plastic or ceramic plant pot turned on its side and partially buried in the soil will make a nice hide.

You will need a 100w light bulb: a regular bulb is OK for now. Home depot should sell inexpensive 'shop light' fixtures that you can hang from a piece of wood like a 2"x4" across the rubbermaid container from a hook, positioned on one end over the rock/tile/slate.
Worry about a UV reptile bulb later; sounds like he has had some outside time.

Sounds like a fair amount of work, but should not be too expensive and your tortoise will really appreciate the effort.
Not sure about the previous owner, painting a tortoise's shell is not good for it.

You can feed some Spring mix (comes in bags), for now.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
Oh this is sad....how can someone paint any animal!! He must have been looking for someone to treat him right!!

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Because of the paint, I would NOT try to return him to his original home. That is a clear indication that previous owners were.... clueless, to put it nicely.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
Because of the paint, I would NOT try to return him to his original home. That is a clear indication that previous owners were.... clueless, to put it nicely.

Thing is we don't know it was the owner who put the paint on the animal. It could be somebody who took the tortoise or found it along the way. The owner could be a kind and caring person whose Russian did what Russians often do, find a way to escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.