Tips on transporting a tortoise?

Alsprotector

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Does anyone have any information on transporting older Sulcata's? We will be moving out of state, likely about a 2 day trip. We were thinking of donating the bed of the truck, covered with a camper shell and straw lined. What else do you know? Would love to hear. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've transported tortoises in the pick up bed many times in the past. The thing to watch out for is overheating in the sun. It might be better to find a box big enough and keep them inside the car/truck instead of the bed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I transport mine in large concrete mixing tubs. Much cleaner that way. I use a towel on the bottom and replace it as needed. I keep extra towels and a plastic trash bag handy for soiled towels.

If the tortoise has a night box, you can close them in their night box and move them that way. Probably much more comfortable for them in a familiar area and in the dark with the door closed. I would soak for an hour or more the day before to empty him/her out as much as you can.

If you do this in the bed of a truck, spend the $20 and get a thermometer with a remote probe. Put the probe where the tortoise is and keep the main unit in the cab with you where you can clearly see it at all times. Less than $20 at Lowes. Watch those temps.
072397005227lg.jpg

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Depending on the size, Home Depot sells some heavy duty storage totes that work well. Just make sure to drill some venting holes.