Transporting Desert Tortoise + Legal Implications?

CTP

5 Year Member
Thank you! So my next question is -- because he's a sulcata, that means he cannot hibernate, right? And so he needs high temperatures year round? Under these circumstances, it's not 100% sure anymore whether or not my California friend will be able to take him. If he can't take him, does anyone know where I could find someone who would be able to? I know this forum has an adoption section. I just want to be able to be *sure* that he will go to someone who can take care of him properly (hence why I feel uncomfortable with options like Craigslist etc.). Is there a way that I could do this?

reticguy76

5 Year Member
Sulcatas are referred many times as desert torts. I see them listed all the time from the inexperience of the Craigslist posters up to some major breeding facilities. I have found that some people list them as desert torts, and the ones that are native to America by their full names (ie, California Desert tort, Sonoran or Mojave Desert Torn, Texas, etc). Not saying its proper, just saying that could be why the misunderstanding on this tort.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yup...sulcata. and yup...no hibernating.

I'm going to move this thread to the sulcata section, and if you want to adopt him out you can put up an ad in the adoptions section. If you want to sell him, you can put up an ad in the for sale section. If you do either of those, include a link to this thread so your prospective buyers/adopters can read all the info we've come up with here.

CTP

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:

I'm going to move this thread to the sulcata section, and if you want to adopt him out you can put up an ad in the adoptions section. If you want to sell him, you can put up an ad in the for sale section. If you do either of those, include a link to this thread so your prospective buyers/adopters can reall all the info we've come up with here.

Thank you. I'm thinking of using the adoption section, yes, but I was just wondering -- is there any sort of screening process or anything for those sections? "Screening" isn't the right word, I know. I just mean is there any assurance that the person adopting the tortoise will have the will/resources to take care of it -- as opposed to NOT having that assurance on someplace like Craigslist or something?

edwardbo

5 Year Member
I live in the north east , the poor thing . Members does he look heathy to you guys ? Doesn't sound like he's had much love in his life . Maybe he would enjoy life in my turtle paradise ............. Oh ooooh ... Out of battery.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
CTP said:
Yvonne G said:

I'm going to move this thread to the sulcata section, and if you want to adopt him out you can put up an ad in the adoptions section. If you want to sell him, you can put up an ad in the for sale section. If you do either of those, include a link to this thread so your prospective buyers/adopters can reall all the info we've come up with here.

Thank you. I'm thinking of using the adoption section, yes, but I was just wondering -- is there any sort of screening process or anything for those sections? "Screening" isn't the right word, I know. I just mean is there any assurance that the person adopting the tortoise will have the will/resources to take care of it -- as opposed to NOT having that assurance on someplace like Craigslist or something?

There is no police or someone to say what the process is. You gotta use your vest judgement. Anyone that's a regular here would be good I'm sure someone's interested. You can also check the persons home before you adopt it out

CTP

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! Thanks to all who replied helping me out in this thread.

So the truth is that my living situation has gone from bad to worse since this thread was posted, and so that doesn't bode well for the tortoise. I don't have a choice except to put him up for adoption now. Here's the thread - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-84134.html I hope maybe someone will be interested?