tired tort ;/

Tootsietort2488

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, my daughter has a Russian tort named Tootsie, she got him about a year ago ( not sure of his exact age, got him at a pet store) he has had past issues with his shell. Had an infection from a small split and was treated over the summer with soaks creams and we had to give him a series of antibiodic shots ( not as easy task lol) His shell is looking much better but still careful to watch it. Question now, she took him back to her apt at college in Aug and he was very rowdy and active but the last week he has been very sleepy and even when she took him out today he walked slower and didnt explore like he usually loves to do, he is eating all his food everyday and she is soaking him but do you think this is a concern? His eyes and nose seem clear also. Could the change in our weather affect his activity level? She is a worrier so figure I would ask some seasoned tort owners here. She does seem to have her heat and lighting ok but not really correct humidity, that has been hard to figure out since he is ina large rabbit type enclosure with the lights sitting on top of the cage. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• tootspic2.jpg
    tootspic2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 65

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Okay, it seems the TFO gremlin has eaten my post to you so let's give it another go...

Hi and welcome to TFO! Considering the time of year is when Russians start thinking of hibernation/burmation I would first take a close look at her lighting and heating on him. What kind of lighting is she using and how long each day is it on for? What temps is he being kept at?

Tootsietort2488

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Okay, it seems the TFO gremlin has eaten my post to you so let's give it another go...

Hi and welcome to TFO! Considering the time of year is when Russians start thinking of hibernation/burmation I would first take a close look at her lighting and heating on him. What kind of lighting is she using and how long each day is it on for? What temps is he being kept at?

Thanks Jacqui, well she has a 100 watt bulb and put a thermometer on the ground at the cage, its a rabbit type cage on the floor (so possibly the heat might be escaping) that read about 92 but that is more where his basking area is, she just added a second bulb so not sure what the readings are away from that area she has the UVB light next to it, but they rest on top of the cage so a bit of a ways from him. I think she needs to get a better thermometer too (dont know how accurate this one is) its a temp/ humidity one that usually velcros on any suggestions on a reasonably priced one? I did think maybe he was trying to hibernate, which she does not want, hope that is not an issue. He did wake up tonight and begged for a snack ( as she put it lol) and had some carrots so his appetite is great! I think she has the lights on about 10-12 hrs a day. He has a log he sometimes goes into to sleep. I will have her send me a picture so you can see the set up, we are still learning and have read conflicting info on there care and feeding. My daughter is kind of an over protective tort mom lol If he wasnt eating so well I would be concerned. Thanks and any info is appreciated!:tort:

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I'm concerned about it being a rabbit type cage. What size is it? I feel it must be way to small :( others will chime in about the lighting/heating. Good luck!