'Tis the season for winter plants!

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
All the seasonal plants are hitting home improvement stores in full force and so I've been checking which ones can be put into my reds' enclosure (eventually). Tortoisetrust says that those cute Norfolk Island Pines that line the front entrance of Home Depot are non-toxic. After reading up on their care, I was wondering if anyone has grown it successfully in or out of their tort enclosures. I know they aren't like most cold hardy pines and are actually tropical (and therefore work as houseplants), but care says they like cooler temps at around 65 degrees. I'm wondering if they can handle an 80-85 degree environment, low light and still thrive. Any suggestions are welcomed :D

bedia

5 Year Member
Hi... Sorry for coming in with another question out of the blue, but aren't wild animals supposed to be able to tell the toxic plants from edible ones? People have mentioned this very often in this forum and I wondered... My 4 have been living outside in the garden without a specified enclosure and have not touched poisonous plants at all but decimated things like the vegetable garden and the pansy patch. So I'm pretty sure they have a way of telling the difference. Or am I being an idiot??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love those little Norfolk pines. I've tried and tried but kill them off, quite easily, I must admit. I think its too hot, then too cold here for them. If you want one, I'd give it a try. They're on sale, right? Go for it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
bedia said:
Hi... Sorry for coming in with another question out of the blue, but aren't wild animals supposed to be able to tell the toxic plants from edible ones? People have mentioned this very often in this forum and I wondered... My 4 have been living outside in the garden without a specified enclosure and have not touched poisonous plants at all but decimated things like the vegetable garden and the pansy patch. So I'm pretty sure they have a way of telling the difference. Or am I being an idiot??

I do believe that is the census on this forum. However, we do mostly recommend not to purposely add plants that are known to be toxic.