To Lay or not to Lay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
I was wondering if Tortoises are like other animals, in that it is 'good' for a female to lay a clutch of eggs? And if so, at what age would you do this? Alfie is still only very young, and as i dont have a male then it's not looking very likely at the moment, but i am curious!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I've never seen any distinguishing difference between a female tortoise that has laid eggs or has not.

Producing eggs, nesting and egg laying is a very labor intensive action for a female and essentially she is on the earth just to do that. So while it's a perfectly natural process, I can't believe that they're better for it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And another thing to think about...some females will lay clutches of eggs having never been with a male and some won't.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
GBtortoises said:
Producing eggs, nesting and egg laying is a very labor intensive action for a female and essentially she is on the earth just to do that. So while it's a perfectly natural process, I can't believe that they're better for it!

If it is half as bad as giving birth, i would feel bad for making Alfie have a clutch for no reason, but then that is her purpose in life...

emysemys said:
And another thing to think about...some females will lay clutches of eggs having never been with a male and some won't.

I think i read this on here before. But i just dont get it. A female tortoise will lay a clutch of eggs? Unfertile? And why the heck would this happen? Is it a bit like a human phantom pregnancy?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
I don't know Brooke, but my Leopard got eggbound last year, how much fun was that?? Now she laid one egg on Thur and has 2 more inside.... These girls and their need to reproduce.
Go Figure!!
Na

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
those darn misleading titles.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
dmmj
You are sooo funny!!
Hate to admit I thought it too.
NA

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Na - eggbound! Maybe its best to just keep Alfie away from those boys! Doesn't sounds like much fun! Can't they do something to get the egg out??

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Brooke, she's alone!!! No boys in site!!
Yes last year we had to give her a few different injections to induce labor. I posted a thread earlier today to get the experts advice. She is not acting like last year, digging and attempting to lay, so I am not sure what way to go. Leave her be with the eggs inside, or give her the injections to make her lay. My vet is not 100 per cent sure either.
So I ask here, lots of experience to get advise from!
Na

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I can't comment on how giving birth feels for humans or tortoises. In both situations I've only watched it happen from the sidelines! Although I do take full responsibility for the one situation, all three times! LOL

But, I think it's probably not quite the same. You're comparing human birth (along with emotion and pain) to a tortoise carrying eggs for a few weeks and then spending usually less than a couple of hours to deposit them in a nest only to turn around and do it again in a few weeks.

Whether most people like to acknowledge it or not, a tortoises primary purpose in life is to reproduce and really nothing more, except maybe to spread a few plant seeds around as they go. At some point, them, their eggs or their offspring are food for something else. That's about it. The part about us keeping them as pets to look at really isn't part of their master plan, that's our interruption in their life cycle.

Yes a female tortoise or turtle can lay eggs without a male ever being present. Obviously, if the female has never been in contact with a male the eggs definitely will not be fertile. However, if it is unknown if a female has ever had contact with a male, such as with a wild caught tortoise or one whose origin and contact with other tortoises can't be verified then there is possibility that the eggs could be fertile and should be treated as such. Males don't trigger females to lay eggs, mother nature triggers females to lay eggs with daylight duration, temperature changes, seasonal changes and probably more. There is a specific period of time during the eggs initial development that they must be fertilized or it isn't going to happen. Females can be bred by a male within that time period or even in some cases carry sperm from breedings years prior to fertilize the eggs. Chickens and other poultry have this same ability. Those eggs that you buy in the store are unfertilized eggs from chickens that never come in contact with a rooster.

It also doesn't matter if a female has been exposed to a male or not, she can still become egg bound. That has nothing to do with fertility. That is usually caused by lack of desirable nesting sites or other environmental requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.