To Vet or Not to Vet?

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
We've had Crystal, a young Russian, for almost 3 weeks now. He came from a pet store and seems to have adjusted well. He's active, eating well, producing all the proper waste daily. His shell looks good to me, no pyramiding, although I have noticed there is what looks like one little white nick in it, and I'm assuming it's normal that the edge of some of the shell "scales" have slight gaps (like I could slide my fingernail under the edge).

When we first got him, I was planning on a vet checkup early on, having read this was a good idea. But when I called a local vet that sees reptiles, I was told this wasn't necessary/recommended, that we only needed to bring him in if something seemed wrong, so I dropped it. And now I'm having second thoughts and wanting advice, please.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My leopard is three years old. I did purchase as a hatchling. I will not bring him to a vet unless something shows up that says he should be seen. I also have a Russian, that I got from a family. I'm sure it was purchased from a pet store. Again, no plans for a vet visit unless needed. My second leopard, who did not receive the best care, and paddles instead of walks, will not see a vet unless things get worse. I am doing therapy recommended from this forum. Unless things don't improve, which they have been very slowly and very small steps, she too will not go to a vet. My opinion, if there is nothing wrong, don't waist the money.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Car rides, vet visits---are cause for unnecessary stress, stress wreaks havoc on the health of a tortoise....so, if your tort is doing all of the things that you have described....I would not subject a tort to the stress of the vet/car ride and rough handling....my 2 cents :D

CrystalsFamily

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Car rides, vet visits---are cause for unnecessary stress, stress wreaks havoc on the health of a tortoise....so, if your tort is doing all of the things that you have described....I would not subject a tort to the stress of the vet/car ride and rough handling....my 2 cents :D

Thanks, yes, stress is definitely part of the equation. Especially since it's still not so warm here in the Northeast. I'd hate to see him slide back to where he was when we first brought him home.

Hjulmgunnar

Montana
I like to have regular checkups with my torts just to make sure that all is well in the world. I get them checked for worms or any other common parasites and infections every six months. i feel its better safe then sorry.