Toads in tortoise enclosure.

L

LasTortugasNinja

I've seen box turtles chase toads, trying to eat them. They usually give up, but once I did see one chowing down on a toad carcass. Box turtles seem to have some bit of immunity to toxins. I read a story of how Indians would not consume box turtles because knew the turtles frequently ate toxic mushrooms, hence they were dangerous to eat. Lore or fact? No idea...
My wild box turtles that lived in my backyard as a kid would scarf down the spadefoot toad tadpoles that would appear after the monsoon rains in AZ. Our garden would be transformed into a wriggling swamp for a few days, and we'd have millions of tadpoles. The turtles would eat them, as would cattle egrets, crows, and young snakes and lizards. Was interesting to watch.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
You need coyotes!

I need a coyote like another hole in the head. It was bad enough when I witnessed a skunk and some cats all crossing my street from my corner. They did take a shortcut catycorner. It was hilarious! And if I have a nice mom black snake that comes around I wouldn't really be upset. But I doubt it. I can't believe that I've only seen 1 baby toad each year for several years. Last year I saw maybe 2 or 3. Sooo who is eating my pet toads!?????

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I've seen box turtles chase toads, trying to eat them. They usually give up, but once I did see one chowing down on a toad carcass. Box turtles seem to have some bit of immunity to toxins. I read a story of how Indians would not consume box turtles because knew the turtles frequently ate toxic mushrooms, hence they were dangerous to eat. Lore or fact? No idea...
Oh my garsh...and it gets more interesting with lore.? now I have to fact check...it's no wonder my son thinks his mom needs help. I make him do the googling.?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My wild box turtles that lived in my backyard as a kid would scarf down the spadefoot toad tadpoles that would appear after the monsoon rains in AZ. Our garden would be transformed into a wriggling swamp for a few days, and we'd have millions of tadpoles. The turtles would eat them, as would cattle egrets, crows, and young snakes and lizards. Was interesting to watch.
Well...then the size toads I see around my home are little survivors already.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
A toad turd is almost the size of the toad. I find them along the side of our pool. Was shocked to find out it was toad turds.
Well crap! I am overloaded with toads! Everywhere! I have never considered moving them.. ( I have never seen a toad turd either ... or recognized it if I did..) I did know that they were toxic for my dogs but apparently my dogs know it too... I can easily catch them and relocate but how do I make my habitat less inviting for them? I think I live in toad paradise!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A toad turd is almost the size of the toad. I find them along the side of our pool. Was shocked to find out it was toad turds.
Hello! I've missed you! a lot...the only toads I get to see are pretty little. Maybe I should be thankful.?