Today's grub?

Tank & Scooter

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Giving my 3 month Sulcatas a tiny bit of romaine, grasses , dandilons and dandelions leaves. Yesterday they got a tiny bit of romaine, lots of hibiscus leaves and flowers with carrot shaving.

My question, I just found the hibiscus and dandelions spot 1 block from my house. Lived here 10 years and never seen bushes lol. Can I feed them hibiscus and dandelions on the regular? (2or3 times a week)

I ask here because im a 2 month tortoise owner and I heard tortoise info outdated. Don't trust that tortoise plant app. Can't even find half the weeds or suculants in my area on there.

I live in Los Angeles, so finding plants and bushes is a struggle, but I have my spots for picking...20180515_110502.jpg

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Today's grub.. Breakfast of champions right? All they need is 2 eggs in a cup like Rocky. tiny bit of romaine, chopped fresh grasses, and chopped dandelion flower and leaves.. Today's first time I give them dandelion leaves. I usually put flower and that's the first thing they eat. Trying to get them off romaine. Breeder must of feed only romain. They won't eat unless it has romaine. That's why I try n put 1/5th romaine 1526688340866.jpg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Dandelions have oxalates so should be fed sparingly. Some is good but not a lot. Hibiscus is good. Make sure they haven't been sprayed and that the hibiscus hasn't been recently planted because they use chemicals in nurseries that aren't good.

The tortoise table website is trustworthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Plants in a public area like that are likely to be sprayed with chemicals to keep the bugs off. They don't intend for people to eat the decorative plants or feed it to their animals. If the leaves are pristine, no holes, and there are no aphids or whiteflies, then you know there are chemicals present. There should be bugs all over those plants.

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Plants in a public area like that are likely to be sprayed with chemicals to keep the bugs off. They don't intend for people to eat the decorative plants or feed it to their animals. If the leaves are pristine, no holes, and there are no aphids or whiteflies, then you know there are chemicals present. There should be bugs all over those plants.

First of all let me start off with first of all with thank you for posting Tom. YOUR TIME is more then APPRECIATED,. AS luck will have it, the grounds keeper was on sight. He promised me he's the only one who plants and cuts. I told him Sir don't mine me but ill be here picking every week. He assured me no pest control

Antoni

Giving my 3 month Sulcatas a tiny bit of romaine, grasses , dandilons and dandelions leaves. Yesterday they got a tiny bit of romaine, lots of hibiscus leaves and flowers with carrot shaving.

My question, I just found the hibiscus and dandelions spot 1 block from my house. Lived here 10 years and never seen bushes lol. Can I feed them hibiscus and dandelions on the regular? (2or3 times a week)

I ask here because im a 2 month tortoise owner and I heard tortoise info outdated. Don't trust that tortoise plant app. Can't even find half the weeds or suculants in my area on there.

I live in Los Angeles, so finding plants and bushes is a struggle, but I have my spots for picking...View attachment 239131
I too live in LA, and i know the struggle of looking for free food. Please be careful because most people (hired gardeners and home owners) spray the weeds to kill them and uses pesticides and other chemicals to boost growth on other plants. I planted mine a couple months ago but for rn im feeding them santa barbara mix. Coz my leos won’t eat grass!! If ur sullys eat grass already then great!! They get the most nutrients from it and should be about 80% of their diet anyway (someone will correct me if im wrong but i remember reading that in this same forum)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Today's grub.. Breakfast of champions right? All they need is 2 eggs in a cup like Rocky. tiny bit of romaine, chopped fresh grasses, and chopped dandelion flower and leaves.. Today's first time I give them dandelion leaves. I usually put flower and that's the first thing they eat. Trying to get them off romaine. Breeder must of feed only romain. They won't eat unless it has romaine. That's why I try n put 1/5th romaine View attachment 239135
I didn't know they made a smaller size pellet LS mazuri. Most members of this forum don't like or use the LS formula mazuri, I had great results with it along with the original formula raising a few sulcatas. I would crush the larger size LS pellets with pliers so the youngsters could eat it until they grew big enough where that wasn't necessary. I didn't mix it with their greens I had a bowl of the LS and another bowl with the original (moistened when young) available to them daily.They all grew "nice" and quick, I hope you keep us up on how Tank and Scooter do as time goes on.

Kasia

Poland
First of all let me start off with first of all with thank you for posting Tom. YOUR TIME is more then APPRECIATED,. AS luck will have it, the grounds keeper was on sight. He promised me he's the only one who plants and cuts. I told him Sir don't mine me but ill be here picking every week. He assured me no pest control
Nice man that grounds keeper :)