Please help me with Mordy's diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Fl
ive been struggling with what to feed my little guy. i live in miami and havent been able to find all the weeds and grasses everyone here seems to feed their torts. once in a while i can get my neighbor to give me a bit of hibiscus but since i almost never see him, thats not what i can count on. i go to walmart and buy spring mix, bok choy, watercress, romaine lettuce, and recently bought turnip greens. last night mordy pooped a large urate. i keep him well hydrated, so i think the problem is the oxalic acid? i have no idea. i searched and found bok choy is supposedly high in that. i would love if someone who might live close to me can tell me where they get their dandelions, or grape leaves, or anything of that sort please. i also give him zoomed tortoise food, but he doesnt like it much anymore.

thanks!

picture is of mordy eating :)

Attachments

• IMG702.jpg
    IMG702.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 32

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I live nowhere near you but You could add buck choy and most stores sell dandelion leaves atleast in my area

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...you live in an AWESOME place in the world to grow lush thick jungle like plants....I would think that if you get any, any, seeds and planted them and watered them and let them go you should have a large variety of grazing and hiding areas?????

Have you tried? Perhaps in the outdoor enclosure you can block off sections at a time and plant a variety of seeds...let them grown and establish, then section off another part and so on until you have a lush thick tortoise grazing area....

Also, if you plant in flats you should again have great results....wow, if I had your humidity and such, people would have to visit me carrying a machete to find the door....lol :D

Biff Malibu

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
Check out this list on the forum. This will give you PLENTY of options.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1xbPdmZ5D

Timothy hay you can find at a pet store in the rabbit section (if its old enough). Whole foods has a good 'greens' selection. Mexican grocery stores usually have cactus. I bet a local reptile store could tell you where they get some of the specific things you're looking for.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
First of all, Mordy is a cool looking tortoise! I love that color.

Okay then, if you go to the top of this page you will see an icon to click on for Carolina Pet supply. They sell all sort of really easy to start seeds. If you have some space to grow things I like Peaceful Valley Farms. They have all sorts of pasture mixes and a huge array or organic seeds, all at very low prices.

Next, someone near you must have a mulberry tree. Feed the tender new leaves to a little guy like Mordy. How about grapevines? You can plant them in pots or the ground and have them go up a trellis.

Most "ethnic" grocery stores, and many regular ones sell spineless opuntia cactus pads. These last a long time and are great for them. You can also order pads from many people here on the site. They are also very easy to put into pots and grow your self.

The ZooMed stuff is good. I soak it and then smush and smear it all over the greens. None of mine seem to favor it, but it's good for them and they get it in them when I feed it this way. How about Mazuri? It's good stuff too.

I've been to Florida. There are weeds and grasses everywhere. Everything is green there. Are you having trouble identifying the weeds, or having trouble finding safe sources?

Mordy

5 Year Member
Miami, Fl
Tom said:
First of all, Mordy is a cool looking tortoise! I love that color.

Okay then, if you go to the top of this page you will see an icon to click on for Carolina Pet supply. They sell all sort of really easy to start seeds. If you have some space to grow things I like Peaceful Valley Farms. They have all sorts of pasture mixes and a huge array or organic seeds, all at very low prices.

Next, someone near you must have a mulberry tree. Feed the tender new leaves to a little guy like Mordy. How about grapevines? You can plant them in pots or the ground and have them go up a trellis.

Most "ethnic" grocery stores, and many regular ones sell spineless opuntia cactus pads. These last a long time and are great for them. You can also order pads from many people here on the site. They are also very easy to put into pots and grow your self.

The ZooMed stuff is good. I soak it and then smush and smear it all over the greens. None of mine seem to favor it, but it's good for them and they get it in them when I feed it this way. How about Mazuri? It's good stuff too.

I've been to Florida. There are weeds and grasses everywhere. Everything is green there. Are you having trouble identifying the weeds, or having trouble finding safe sources?

thanks, ill make sure to tell Mordy you like his color :cool:

and a little of both, i cant identify the mulberry leaves and dont know a safe source either. but im going to buy one of the seed mixes from carolina supply. Mordy used to love hibiscus leaves, but now prefers his greens. ill see if maybe one of my neighbors have a good source, though it may be a little difficult to figure out if its what i think it is.

thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.