'Toe' nails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I have not, but it can be done. go slow and have some sort of quick stop powder on hand in case you get a bleeder. flour or cornstarch can be used if you dont have the quick stop. Steptic pencil sp? that some guys use for nicks when shaving.. but i think it can burn a bit..

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
I use the nail grinder, you can get from the seen on tv section of cvs or any other store that sells that stuff or on line, "Peticure" works really good without splintering the nail.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If they have some hard surfaces in the enclosure, this should not be required.

But yes, sometimes it needs it done. I've heard to have the vet do it the first time (and watch it it has to be done again) as tort nails are different than dogs for example. You don't want to injure them.

derf

5 Year Member
Nice one, thanks guys. I was wondering cuase I've had my tort for about 2-3 years now and i've never doen it and they're looking a tad long!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Let him run around on some blacktop or something and see if that helps. Also, put some hard tiles like slate in part of the enclosure. I also have some stones in there.

treshell

5 Year Member
My granddaughter has a new Hedgehog. One of the things she got for new Hedgie is SANDY TRIMMER TUNNEL. http://www.exoticnutrition.com/hecaac.html She thought it might also work for her tortoise as well. . It reminds me of what we taught our dogs with. We had a board that we covered with sand paper, then trained them to wipe their feet.
treshell

Status
Not open for further replies.