Tokay Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
My wife is from Thailand, so she has some life experiences different then mine. She says when she was growing up she had freinds that had pet Tokay Geckos that were freindly.

I love the look of Tokay Geckos and a lizard that makes noise is so cool to me, but every reference I find says Tokay Geckos are always very agressive. I know there are different personalities within a species, but several.

Has anyone had a freindly Tokay Gecko?
Could she be confusing a Tokay Gecko with another type of Large Colorful Gecko?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I seem to remember a friend of mine had a handleable tokay, when I was a kid. Their call is unmistakable. When I was in Vietnam, we could hear them call every evening. We called them "F U lizards" They"re like the T rex of the geckos. Their coloration is pretty unmistakable.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I have had lots of tokay gekos, and I have yet to find a friendly one, they are difficult to get mixed up though, because their name originates front th sound they make, if you listen when they make their little noises it sounds like they are saying tokay!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Tokays can be worked with, and they can be tolerant of Human interaction........

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
I miss mine. I've been looking for some captive bred ones.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I will go to every reptile Expo my area and find this elusive tame Tokay Gecko.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
I actually did know of a friendly Tokay that one of my friends had (well, friendly for a Tokay- it didn't bite, for example). I was terrified to hold it, but my friend insisted. I was not bitten, no aggression, etc. but that was a long time ago, and again, only once.
I strongly believe Tokays can be trained to tolerate human interaction, as Eric stated before. I can't see one snuggling up to an owner, but I'm not saying it couldn't ever happen. Anything is possible :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've got four of them. One will take food from some long forceps. The others want nothing to do with me. I've never seen a tame one. That would be neat. I still like them, even if they are not all that personable.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have heard of tame tokays. There's a tokay breeder, on another reptile community (I believe it was iHerp.com), that has very tame tokays. When she goes to reptile expos, she'll take a few of her breeding adults along and have one out on the table to be pet and handled. So, it can happen, with enough work... Probably the best bet would be to start with a healthy CB baby and just work with it consistently.

froghaven5

5 Year Member
New Jersey
The one we had was beautiful and my son handled him as much as he could be he would draw blood more often than not. :(

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I had a few of them years ago, but they were always skittish and flighty. They would let me get only so close to them before they would take off. I had a room strictly for reptiles, and what I would do is just turn them loose to eat up any crickets that escaped from my chameleon cages. I did have a friend who claimed his Tokay was tame, but I never saw it with my own 2 eyes.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I don't think so, but it hurts like hell & they don't like to let go either! :)

jeffbens0n said:
Is their bite harmful? Can it cause significant damage?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Here's the iHerp thread I was thinking of: http://iherp.com/Public/Blog/Detail.aspx?uid=65158... If you scroll down through the pics, you can see this breeder's "Pet a Tokay" display, as well as a couple of kids handling two of her adults. Here's the "Tokay" page on that same breeder's website; it touches very briefly on how she manages to tame them: http://spottedscales.com/tokays.html :)

Jeff--Never been bit by a Tokay, but my adult bearded dragon got me once (just a bite-and-release, not a bite-and-hold like Tokays seem to be known for) and that hurt like HELL. Cut right through the fingernail, left a surprisingly deep cut on the pad of my finger, but both grew out/healed very quickly and there wasn't any significant, long-term damage... But, holy crap, I'm glad beardies are tame, because it's so not something I'd want to go through again. Anyway, point is, a lizard bite hurts like crazy and can do some surprising damage... But I'm pretty sure you aren't going to get any significant, long-term damage from a Tokay. (Disclaimer: I've never actually been bitten by a tokay... This conclusion is based largely on the assumption that a tokay's bite would be comparable in power to a similarly sized beardie.)

Status
Not open for further replies.