Too attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redari

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta, Canada
Talking to people who understand always seems to help in my experience.

Your art work is beautiful!!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
laney said:
I think I might be too attached to my torts lol
I worry about them if I have to go to work, I spend all my free time with them, they are all I really have to talk about, I don't trust anyone with them so I worry about dying and my friend wants me to go on holiday but I don't want to leave my babies :(
I think I'm probably unhealthily attached to them, I got my first two when I was going through a couple of bad bouts of depression and PTSD so maybe it stems from there. I talk to them as if they're human (dont worry they dont talk back lol) and live on my own, feel like they've been there for me through rough times but now I'm anxious about them all the time!
It's pretty pathetic I know, I seem to find it hard to get a balance with them.
Not really a question, but feel free to comment or share how you get a good balance :)

Dont feel bad, I am the same with my 2. Altho Cooper spends 75% of his time with me on the living room floor. He is my best friend which is pretty sad, but I can trust him! lol!

ulkal

5 Year Member
I am no expert, I am giving just my opinion.

IMO, it is pretty good to be passionate/ enthusiastic about your hobby.
Also, when you have pets I think it is nothing but positive to research on them and try to learn. Probably everyone of us spends a good amount of their time caring for and researching about their tortoises.
Animals have to be known to have a good effect on your mental health for some time and I am glad to hear that your tortoises have helped you. Please do not pathologize your passion for tortoises. Just because you had problems in the past does not mean that there is a need to be suspiscious about everything you do or that you are not able to judge what is good for you or bad. If the anxiety takes over or restricts you in anything you like to do, then maybe this is a reason to worry. To be concerned for the well-being of your pets is not.
As I said I am no expert and I do not intend to lecture or something, I am really just giving an opinion on what you wrote.
BTW, I talk to my dogs and tortoises although they never talk back :rolleyes:
You are very good with naturalistic drawing and tortoises in general have an interesting repertoire of facial expressions, so they make a good motif :D

taiuk10

5 Year Member
I feel the same, I make sure they are warm, hydrated and have food even though I sit in the cold during winter

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just had to add. We are all nuts. It's the ones that hear their tortoises talk back that needs to worry.:p :D That said, life is too short to let it pass by. The better person you are, the better husband, wife, mother, father, sister, brother, animal keeper you will be. Get out and enjoy life and the places around you, your tort will appreciate the alone time.

turtletortoisefarmer

5 Year Member
i am glad there are other people out there like me.i live alone i talk to them all the time my job sucks right now i am in a bad place mind wise,taking care of my torts and dog and donkeys give me peace.and Laney you should keep up that art work.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
laney said:
I worry about them if I have to go to work, I spend all my free time with them, they are all I really have to talk about, I don't trust anyone with them so I worry about dying and my friend wants me to go on holiday but I don't want to leave my babies :(
I think I'm probably unhealthily attached to them, I got my first two when I was going through a couple of bad bouts of depression and PTSD so maybe it stems from there. I talk to them as if they're human (dont worry they dont talk back lol) and live on my own, feel like they've been there for me through rough times but now I'm anxious about them all the time!
Not really a question, but feel free to comment or share how you get a good balance :)
I,m the same,they are constantly on my mind,2 years ago my eldest son was killed in a hit and run accident, I had a breakdown and was hospitalized for a while,and i know that if i hadn't had tortoises i wouldn't be here now,not that they were a replacement or anything,but they gave me something else to focus on.
My father died in November and the wake was being held in a club a few miles away ,and knowing i would be out all day i took the tortoises and their tables over in the morning and set them up in the committee room,(people thought i'd really lost the plot then lol ) but they don't realise how these little critters get under your skin.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
pepsiandjac said:
laney said:
I,m the same,they are constantly on my mind,2 years ago my eldest son was killed in a hit and run accident, I had a breakdown and was hospitalized for a while,and i know that if i hadn't had tortoises i wouldn't be here now,not that they were a replacement or anything,but they gave me something else to focus on.
My father died in November and the wake was being held in a club a few miles away ,and knowing i would be out all day i took the tortoises and their tables over in the morning and set them up in the committee room,(people thought i'd really lost the plot then lol ) but they don't realise how these little critters get under your skin.

Animals are really something, aren't they? I wouldn't want a world without them.

My heart goes out to you on the loss of your son.

Happy Tortoise

5 Year Member
I talk to Mr. T a lot but all he does is snort at me O_O. Idk I never heard anyone say anything like that

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Do whatever you want to do, if you enjoy keeping tortoises and can give them good living conditions then keep as many as you want. My wife, daughter and my Mom all help out with the torts. My daughter was giving me a hard time about my tortoises until I went and sold some hatchlings and gave her the money toward her Washington DC trip with her school. Then she said ,,,,,,,ok I will stop giving you a hard time about the torts. The truth is I would rather spend a day in the sun with my torts over spending it with people any day. It has been mentioned that you could take up other hobbies, TURTLES would be another hobby:D......Your drawing was very good

Redari

5 Year Member
Alberta, Canada
Pepsiandjac I am so sorry for your loss. What an incredibly hard two years. I'm glad you had your tortoises to help you make it through.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I was that way with my kids when they were little and after years of driving my family crazy realized I have OCD. I am on medication now and everybody is much happier. I do not recommend meds for everyone, but some of us need it. I did not start taking them until I was 40 and regret what I put my oldest son through because of my fears.

taiuk10

5 Year Member
I have an ip camera just above my tortoises pen and check on them while in work

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
What camera do you use? I just purchased a dropcam.

Status
Not open for further replies.