Too cold for outdoors?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Hello everyone, my red foot is about 9 inches and I moved him to live outdoors this year for the first time. He lived indoors with me ever since he was a hatchling and he's my first and only tortoise. I'm in Virginia and the temperatures for the next few days are dropping quite a bit and it's going to be around the 50s to 60s with a few showers.

I was just wondering if he'll be okay with this weather for the next couple days or do you guys recommend I bring him in? He's usually just in his little hiding place all day now ever since the weather dropped. It should go back to the 70s by next week so I wasn't sure if it was worth setting up his indoor enclosure and moving him in yet. His house protects him from the wind and rain so he is fine, but it's not the best insulated thing out there so I'm just a little worried.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
If it were me, I'd probably wrestle with this question then chicken out and bring him inside anyway ;)

Just out of curiosity, how'd your little guy handle the transition from indoors to outdoors? And, how much of a nervous wreck were you for the few couple days? :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Too cool and also wet are a bad combination. I bring mine in after it reaches 55. I have a heated dog house, but i cant trust that all of them will go inside and it only raises the temps by about ten degrees.
Luckily, here it doesn't get very cold and rarely rains when it is cold.