Too much dandelions?

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
This summer I had added a garden box outside for dandelions to grow for Shelldon.
there’s a huge amt of them. He loves themand I’m just wondering if he’s ok eating them daily ? I was thinking of freezing some as well but is that ok too?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This summer I had added a garden box outside for dandelions to grow for Shelldon.
there’s a huge amt of them. He loves themand I’m just wondering if he’s ok eating them daily ? I was thinking of freezing some as well but is that ok too?
A tortoise should not eat lots of one thing every day all the time. If you are mixing your dandelions with other good stuff, and this is just a seasonal thing, then I see no problem with giving him lots of dandelion leaves for a few months. During our rainy season here, my tortoises eat a lot of mallow. I do mix in other things, and the mallow only lasts for about 3 months of each year, but this would be a similar example of a seasonal bonanza like what you are offering with dandelions.

What species and size is Sheldon? Where are you?

Skip K

Virginia
Dandelion has many nutritional advantages...but I’m concerned about oxalates...especially with my younger torts. I do feed dandelion to the babies but remove the stems which is where most of the oxalates are. I let my older torts graze on them naturally though. For all my torts when being fed store bought greens I remove the stems and major veins. This may or may not matter much...but it makes me feel better

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
A tortoise should not eat lots of one thing every day all the time. If you are mixing your dandelions with other good stuff, and this is just a seasonal thing, then I see no problem with giving him lots of dandelion leaves for a few months. During our rainy season here, my tortoises eat a lot of mallow. I do mix in other things, and the mallow only lasts for about 3 months of each year, but this would be a similar example of a seasonal bonanza like what you are offering with dandelions.

What species and size is Sheldon? Where are you?
Thanks. Sheldon is a Hermanns Tortoise and I was told he’s 5 years old.
im in Manitoba. He’s around 6”