too much zucchini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
my yearling leopard tortoise LOVES zucchini. i discovered this after trying a couple other treats (cactus pears, various fruits, carrots, ect) and nothing but her greens got her excited. so i tried zucchini and she goes crazy! not only does she love it, but often when I'm holding the piece for her, she will ram it...i don't know any other way to describe it. she pushes it forward pretty hard. maybe it's only because I'm holding it and she wants it to herself :p it's very weird and cute because she'll do it so hard she's inside her shell haha.

but anyways, i wanted to know how often i could feed it to her? is it strictly a treat or can she get it a couple times a week? only because it has so much water in it if like to feed it to her more often than every other week.

furandscales

5 Year Member
I try just to stick to a diet of greens and lettuce. Maybe once a week? And it won't be a treat anymore if she gets it all the time!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
haha, this is true. i just wasn't sure if there was something in it that is okay in small doses and fatal in larger doses. I'd like to give it to her twice a week :) it's our bonding food haha

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A small amount once in a while shouldn't hurt anything, but I can't say that its "good" for them. My preference is to fill their stomaches with things that are GOOD for them rather than things that probably won't hurt them in small amounts. :)

Now pardon me, I've gotta go eat some Reeses peanut butter cups...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Tom said:
A small amount once in a while shouldn't hurt anything, but I can't say that its "good" for them. My preference is to fill their stomaches with things that are GOOD for them rather than things that probably won't hurt them in small amounts. :)

Now pardon me, I've gotta go eat some Reeses peanut butter cups...

Ha ha ha!!!

M

Maggie Cummings

I feed my tortoises grated zucchini daily when it's in season. I have not seen any harm from this. Bob is MORE likely to cause trouble if I go out to close him in and I *don't* have any squash. Zucchini and acorn squashes are favourites with my guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.