Too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaija2012

5 Year Member
I keep testudo myself, but recently noticed a Craigslist posting asking for help building a really nice indoor table for a sulcuta. While it WAS nice to see the enthusiasm to provide a beautiful and well-designed habitat, I was thinking that a properly kept sulcuta will outgrow an indoor table rather quickly, so I responded with the advice to consider making a proper outdoor set-up instead of sinking time and $$$ into the super deluxe style table they were describing and explained why. The poster responded to me saying that they got this female at 3 inches and now 4 years later it has only grown to 4.5 inches. This can't be a normal rate of growth, can it? Do people often keep 4+ year olds of this species in indoor tables? Please teach me! Thanks.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
kaija2012 said:
I keep testudo myself, but recently noticed a Craigslist posting asking for help building a really nice indoor table for a sulcuta. While it WAS nice to see the enthusiasm to provide a beautiful and well-designed habitat, I was thinking that a properly kept sulcuta will outgrow an indoor table rather quickly, so I responded with the advice to consider making a proper outdoor set-up instead of sinking time and $$$ into the super deluxe style table they were describing and explained why. The poster responded to me saying that they got this female at 3 inches and now 4 years later it has only grown to 4.5 inches. This can't be a normal rate of growth, can it? Do people often keep 4+ year olds of this species in indoor tables? Please teach me! Thanks.

Is is possible that they've misidentified their tortoise? 1.5" in 4 years seems more like a Russian or a Greek.

kaija2012

5 Year Member
I thought the same thing- misidentified. Or possibly not properly kept.

I directed them to TFO of course. :)

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
PALOALTO said:
Maybe they got a Russian...pet stores often don't know the species

Haha, Paloalto beat me to it. :)

kaija2012 said:
I thought the same thing- misidentified. Or possibly not properly kept.

I hope not. :(
I hate hearing stories about those tiny, malformed tortoises that have been badly kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.