Took my redfoot outside for some sun. He hates it

CanOfCorn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It’s getting warmer outside again so I took my little dude outside for some sun after his bath. Both times i set him down he immediately turns around, powerwalks to a bush, and sulks in there until I bring him inside. Then he shows how displeased he is with me when I take him back to his enclosure by trying to ram my hand after I set him down. I’m guessing he’s still too young to feel comfortable being out in the open like that. Maybe when he gets bigger he won’t hate the sun so much

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0430.jpeg
    IMG_0430.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 2

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I agree he probably feels exposed and wants to get somewhere that feels safe. Trust his instincts in this case

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It’s getting warmer outside again so I took my little dude outside for some sun after his bath. Both times i set him down he immediately turns around, powerwalks to a bush, and sulks in there until I bring him inside. Then he shows how displeased he is with me when I take him back to his enclosure by trying to ram my hand after I set him down. I’m guessing he’s still too young to feel comfortable being out in the open like that. Maybe when he gets bigger he won’t hate the sun so much
He needs a safe enclosure that is heavily planted and has lots of dappled shade. He will be scared at first, but in time he will become familiar with the area and it will be good for him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
If you can set up a secure outdoors enclosure for him/her for supervised outside time, it'd be great to not only incorporate a lot of bushy plants and a pool, but also a cement paver like in your photo.
They provide a good feeding platform, and randomly scattered flat stones or cement slabs will keep nails trimmed naturally

CanOfCorn

Southern California
If you can set up a secure outdoors enclosure for him/her for supervised outside time, it'd be great to not only incorporate a lot of bushy plants and a pool, but also a cement paver like in your photo.
They provide a good feeding platform, and randomly scattered flat stones or cement slabs will keep nails trimmed naturally
I’d like to set up an outdoor space for him when I have more time this summer. Although I’m concerned about the humidity since it gets pretty dry here (around 40%) during the summer. Will he be too uncomfortable in a dry environment or is it not a big deal since he won’t be there for more than 20-30 minutes a day? Also is it dangerous to have him in the yard if I have a lot of wild lizards? I’m thinking of wood barriers with an open top and a chicken wire covering to keep my dogs out but still allow sunlight in. I’m worried the small lizards will jump past the chicken wire and give him parasites or something.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
I’d like to set up an outdoor space for him when I have more time this summer. Although I’m concerned about the humidity since it gets pretty dry here (around 40%) during the summer. Will he be too uncomfortable in a dry environment or is it not a big deal since he won’t be there for more than 20-30 minutes a day? Also is it dangerous to have him in the yard if I have a lot of wild lizards? I’m thinking of wood barriers with an open top and a chicken wire covering to keep my dogs out but still allow sunlight in. I’m worried the small lizards will jump past the chicken wire and give him parasites or something.
He will eat any lizards, snails, etc that are too slow to get out of his way. Otherwise lizards won't be an issue. My south Florida yard is full of lizards of all kinds and they live side by side with my RF.
DO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE DOGS. It's just dog nature to want to chew on a tortoise like a rawhide toy. Keep them away.
Always.
As far as having one outdoors for extended periods, south Florida isn't always so humid. The Winter time has boughts of low humidity. I use an overhead sprinkler system once or twice a week to saturate the ground. Giving off humidity as it evaporates.

CanOfCorn

Southern California
He will eat any lizards, snails, etc that are too slow to get out of his way. Otherwise lizards won't be an issue. My south Florida yard is full of lizards of all kinds and they live side by side with my RF.
DO BE CONCERNED ABOUT THE DOGS. It's just dog nature to want to chew on a tortoise like a rawhide toy. Keep them away.
Always.
As far as having one outdoors for extended periods, south Florida isn't always so humid. The Winter time has boughts of low humidity. I use an overhead sprinkler system once or twice a week to saturate the ground. Giving off humidity as it evaporates.
Oh yes the dogs are definitely kept far far away from my tortoise. They stay indoors when I’m outside with the tortoise. At this point it’s a matter of time and funds since I know I’ll have to build a strong structure with adequate covering on the top to keep the dogs out.
I guess I thought if the humidity drops below 75% for more than an hour my tortoise will resume pyramiding. It’s nice to know they’re a bit more resilient than I thought.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh yes the dogs are definitely kept far far away from my tortoise. They stay indoors when I’m outside with the tortoise. At this point it’s a matter of time and funds since I know I’ll have to build a strong structure with adequate covering on the top to keep the dogs out.
I guess I thought if the humidity drops below 75% for more than an hour my tortoise will resume pyramiding. It’s nice to know they’re a bit more resilient than I thought.
Pyramiding takes extended periods if time to happen