Torrie not eating

Sadhbh

5 Year Member
Hi everyone.

Looking for some advice. My marginated tortoise, Miriam, is not eating. She is hiding out in her hide all day sleeping.

We recently moved her into a large tortoise table from a smaller tank that she came with. We have a heat and UV lamp with 30°C basking under it. Her hide is about 18°C.

Since we moved her on Sunday (it's Wednesday now) she hasn't done much except sleep. I bathe her in warm water and she wakes up. She goes back onto the table, walks for a small bit, sniffs food, and then back to sleep. Could she be stressed about the new surroundings? Should I make her hide a little warmer?

We are feeding her pellets along with Dandelion, plantian and lambs lettuce but she's not interested in it anymore.

We don't know how old she is (or if she is a she). The guy we got her from didn't even know her species. We did all the research ourselves.

She's 10cm long and 210g. She was just under 7.4cm long and 84g when we got her.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
give it time to adjust to the new enclosure.....might try moving food around to different locations too. They are creatures of habit; and when you change their surrounding; they "pout". Add some edible plants; like spider plants and cactus pads; its makes the enclosure more interesting and they always have something to snack on.

Sadhbh

5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. We do have some non toxic plants in there...Boston fern, spider plant and hollyhock. I'll keep and eye on her over the next few days to see if she improves. :)

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Yes, best of luck. Just ensure that the tortoise is adequately hydrated. With time, she should adjust.

T.G.