Tort Keeps Flipping On His Back - Please Help!

Rue

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
I don't think this is going to be that helpful - their ability to right themselves is partly determined by where they flip and how tired they are already. One successful righting isn't going to mean much (beyond a stressed tortoise).

I'm quite aware of that. But at least if you witness it - you will know your tortoise can. That is good to know. I wouldn't be too concerned about the stress level doing it once - as long you're not flipping him for fun on a regular basis.

And...as Linhdan and WithLisa pointed out...they right themselves regardless. It might also point out some trouble spots in the enclosure where it may become difficult to right themselves that maybe can be addressed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm quite aware of that. But at least if you witness it - you will know your tortoise can. That is good to know. I wouldn't be too concerned about the stress level doing it once - as long you're not flipping him for fun on a regular basis.

And...as Linhdan and WithLisa pointed out...they right themselves regardless. It might also point out some trouble spots in the enclosure where it may become difficult to right themselves that maybe can be addressed.

I don't know about that. I've buried a few dead turtles and tortoises that I found laying on their back.

Rue

Canada
And what's the solution? Don't bother to find out? Have a camera on them 24/7?

What were the circumstances where you found the dead animals? Was there some way to prevent that from happening? Would it have helped if you had checked for that possibility ahead of time?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

What were the circumstances where you found the dead animals? Was there some way to prevent that from happening? Would it have helped if you had checked for that possibility ahead of time?

I have large outdoor yards for my turtles and tortoises. Unless I spend my whole day moving from one yard to another there's no way I could keep an eye on all of them. I came home after a 5 day hospital stay to find one of my 45lb Manouria tortoises dead on her back.

Unless you have the time to sit and watch your animal/animals all day long, you are going to have accidents. The best thing to do is to try your best to make the habitat a little more easy for the animal to right itself. A very soft substrate sometimes helps. Non-climb hiding places helps. Rounding the corners so they stop trying to climb in the corners sometimes helps.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

GOD only knows what the solution is. The issue is keeping me wide awake all night long, and even when OLI himself is in deep sleep.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I have large outdoor yards for my turtles and tortoises. Unless I spend my whole day moving from one yard to another there's no way I could keep an eye on all of them. I came home after a 5 day hospital stay to find one of my 45lb Manouria tortoises dead on her back.

Unless you have the time to sit and watch your animal/animals all day long, you are going to have accidents. The best thing to do is to try your best to make the habitat a little more easy for the animal to right itself. A very soft substrate sometimes helps. Non-climb hiding places helps. Rounding the corners so they stop trying to climb in the corners sometimes helps.
Yvonne, please do not misunderstand me here: you were the one who advised me to put a rock/brick in the enclosure. I hadn't planned to. I do NOT mean to offend/upset you ok?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Because you changed things. Tortoises don't handle change well.

It may be that he doesn't feel safe now and he is trying to get out to find cover.

It may be that having a little more space has made him realise there's a much bigger world to explore and he wants even more.

We can't know for certain what he is thinking. What we do know is that they need plenty of space to be healthy and they like lots of places to hide away. Adding lots of plants for him to browse on and hide under may fix the problem in the shorter term, but Oli will definitely need more space in the longer term.
OK, here you and I agree: torts do not like change, but I repeat: OLI NEVER behaved in such a strange way when he was in a much smaller enclosure, even if he too was smaller.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Gillian, your flat doesn't look small to me, I can see lots of room for enlargement around the enclosure. :p

They definitely can right themselves if they are in a suitable environment with firm soil full of roots and plants.
My torts flip at least three times a day and I've never even thought about helping them - it only takes them a few seconds to get back on their legs. The only dangerous spots could be for example slippery water bowls.
I cannot make a larger enclosure. There may be space, but I have to be able to move around. There is a lot furniture: the TV, coaches, tables, a fan (or an electric heater), and so on.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Is it a glass tank? Your tortoise might be trying to walk through it and any site barrier could help.
No, it's a wooden enclosure. I'd NEVER even dream of a glass. I know that torts do not understand the concept of glass.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You could flip Oli and watch how he rights himself...that might give you some peace of mind - knowing that he can.
I did, after I watched the video on YouTube. But OLI kept struggling uselessly, and I just could sit and watch him suffer. He broke my heart.

Reactions: Rue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yvonne, please do not misunderstand me here: you were the one who advised me to put a rock/brick in the enclosure. I hadn't planned to. I do NOT mean to offend/upset you ok?

Don't have a clue where that came from, Gillian. Not upset in the least. My last response was directed towards Rue.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Don't have a clue where that came from, Gillian. Not upset in the least. My last response was directed towards Rue.
Terribly sorry Yvonne. It was not you who suggested placing a rock in OLI's enclosure. Please accept my apologies for the mistake.

Rue

Canada
I did, after I watched the video on YouTube. But OLI kept struggling uselessly, and I just could sit and watch him suffer. He broke my heart.

Well, at least you tried. Any idea why he can't right himself?

...and I agree...watching a turtle/tortoise on their back, struggling to roll over is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I'm amazed they can do it at all.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Well, at least you tried. Any idea why he can't right himself?

...and I agree...watching a turtle/tortoise on their back, struggling to roll over is one of the saddest things I've ever seen. I'm amazed they can do it at all.
No, unfortunately I have no idea why he could not turn back, so as to speak. Am no tort expert, and I personally believe that torts are definitely NOT the easiest pets to deal with. I wonder if you agree with me here.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I think they're fairly easy once their enclosure is set up correctly. Then it's pretty easy to maintain everything.
But a small enclosure can definitely create problems. Especially if the tort needs more room to roam.

Rue

Canada
Tortoises are a bit fussier than I was expecting from my initial reading/research, I agree with you on that. And I don't think they're a good pet for children (without some major parental hovering) so I don't know why they recommend them for beginners.

But I also agree with Sara, that once you're set up and they're older, it should be straightforward.

I'm set up for my hatchling now - and I have a little routine in place so it's not bad. It will all have to be reworked for an adult, but once that's done, I think it will be fine. A bit more expensive than I thought too...to get supplies - especially if I have to have to have a hatchling setup and then an adult set-up, but that's okay. All pets come with costs.