Tort not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verei

5 Year Member
Hey guys, got my tort 2 days ago and it's been in his enclosure for the last 2 days but he's still no movement or eating. He sits in his little shelter thing I made. I bath him every day so he can keep hydrated... Is there something up with him?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
"What is up with him" could be he is suffering from stress of moving to his new home. The other major issue could be his habitat is not set up correctly for him. Can you tell us how your keeping him? For instance during the day, what are the temps in the coolest spot and the warmest one? Take these down at his level on the substrate. Also what are you using to record the temps? Now do this same temp taking at night too. Then what are you suing for lights and for heat? How many hours are they on? What are you feeding him?

Verei

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
"What is up with him" could be he is suffering from stress of moving to his new home. The other major issue could be his habitat is not set up correctly for him. Can you tell us how your keeping him? For instance during the day, what are the temps in the coolest spot and the warmest one? Take these down at his level on the substrate. Also what are you using to record the temps? Now do this same temp taking at night too. Then what are you suing for lights and for heat? How many hours are they on? What are you feeding him?

Hey we'll current I have him in a vivarium with wood chips for him. I current measure the temp with exo terra thermometer. Under the exo terra 75 watt lamp (uv and heat in one) it is 29C at the other end it is 23. I current have a uv strip at tr top of the vivarium too as its pelt entry tall. I leave these lights on for 12 - 13 hours a day then at night time I turn then off and the temp drops to about 18C. For food I give him round lettuce and some carrot that I chop up for him. He also has a fresh dish of water in case he needs it.

arotester

5 Year Member
i guess you must give him some time to settle down in the new place.Mostly new torts don't start eating immediately but there are exceptions though,don't worry he'll start eating soon.:)

Verei

5 Year Member
Since I wrote this post he is now walking around climbing and best if all he's eating. !!! Yayaya. :D

arotester

5 Year Member
enjoy it!!!! that's a beautiful experience when your tort eats his meal for the first time :)

Verei

5 Year Member
arotester said:
enjoy it!!!! that's a beautiful experience when your tort eats his meal for the first time :)

Oh it was! Exciting haha

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
If he's still not eating, you can try feeding him something else like mazuri or spring mix. My tortoises are picky and would not eat kale. I would also include more lettuce and greens in his diet and less of vegetables/fruits.

Status
Not open for further replies.