Tort poop full of bark

Ben02

Location (City and/or State)
Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hi,
I adopted this tortoise the other day from a lady who couldn’t look after her anymore. The tortoise eats well and it quite active however she struggled to poop today, after she finally pooped I inspected it and was shocked to find it was full of beach chips. Right now I’m giving her a nice soak, any suggestions would be most appreciated.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Frequent and long soaks in warm water, along with adding some Aloe Vera (which helps them poop) to your regular feeding regimen should help your tort get rid of any lingering bark.

Good on you for helping out the tort.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We don't know why the tortoise ate bark, if he was hungry or what. But a plentiful, good diet should help. Also, there's a product that supplies lots of minerals (which the tortoise may be looking for in the substrate) that will help - Miner-all, mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farms.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
We don't know why the tortoise ate bark, if he was hungry or what. But a plentiful, good diet should help. Also, there's a product that supplies lots of minerals (which the tortoise may be looking for in the substrate) that will help - Miner-all, mfg'd by Sticky Tongue Farms.
Thank you Yvonne, I’ve been using repashi tortoise supplement which has lots of minerals but I shall look into the ones you have suggested.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nothing but good long soaks for now just.watch her to make sure everything is moving at a good pace.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. What do you by "beach chips"? Maybe the substrate needs to be changed to something else?