Strange Stool/Urine

Tortoisesarecool

Location (City and/or State)
Converse Texas United States
Hello everyone! I was soaking my tortoise today and she pooped like this. Is this normal or okay? She doesn't poop on land so much anymore but when she did they look fine. Her urates also look fine on land. 20230924_153743.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Tortoisesarecool

Also, maybe two months ago I moved her to a new, larger enclosure. I also feed her spring mix which does include the purple lettuce (no spinach). I soak her 1-2 times a week for 30 minutes. Let me know for any other information needed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How old big is she? A hatchling up to about 2 years should be soaked daily for 30 minutes.
Her diet needs to be improved and expanded, just spring mix is not good
What temps, humidity, substrate and lighting and heat are you using?
That is not a normal poop.

Tortoisesarecool

How old big is she? A hatchling up to about 2 years should be soaked daily for 30 minutes.
Her diet needs to be improved and expanded, just spring mix is not good
What temps, humidity, substrate and lighting and heat are you using?
That is not a normal poop.
She is an adult, but not sexually mature. I would say maybe around 8 years. I'm planning to grow some weeds to feed her and expand her diet. Hot side is generally about 90-95⁰ F, and cold side is usually around 80-85⁰ F. Humidity is usually around 40% on the hot side and around 67% on the cool side. Substrate is cypress mulch and I use a heat lamp and uvb lamp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of heat and uvb lamps? The exact kind is needed
Basking area should be 95-100
All over 80-85
Night 70-75.
Humidity is good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You need to change them out. Both are too intense.
A tube florescent for uvb
A incandescent flood for basking
And Ceramic heat emitters or heat panel for night and added day heat.
Substrate should be orchid bark or coconut coir.

Tortoisesarecool

Are the lights causing the strange poop? Is it stress related? Also, a lot of other people say cypress mulch is okay. Are you sure about that?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's fine, but what is better is really a combo of coir on bottom and fine grade orchid bark on top. Next time you change it out, I would use the bark and coir or just the bark.
Stress could cause an unusual poo or parasites.
Right now I wouldn't worry much unless it keeps happening.
Get the lights switched to the safer ones and temps adjusted and just keep an eye on her.
Also, what did you mean she doesn't poop on land anymore?
If she will only go in her soak, then soak more often. Also be sure she has a clay saucer water bowl that is big enough she can fit her whole body in it. Not deep, but wide enough.

Tortoisesarecool

It's fine, but what is better is really a combo of coir on bottom and fine grade orchid bark on top. Next time you change it out, I would use the bark and coir or just the bark.
Stress could cause an unusual poo or parasites.
Right now I wouldn't worry much unless it keeps happening.
Get the lights switched to the safer ones and temps adjusted and just keep an eye on her.
Also, what did you mean she doesn't poop on land anymore?
If she will only go in her soak, then soak more often. Also be sure she has a clay saucer water bowl that is big enough she can fit her whole body in it. Not deep, but wide enough.
It happened last week too, but it was more of a brown color so I assumed that she pooped and the urates mixed with the waste in the water. I'll look for good lights on Amazon. I'll put any I'm interested in on the thread so I can make sure it's safe. She has a water bowl but doesn't go in much. She spends a lot of time underground but I assumed that was due to the lights not being intense enough (Basking spot was under 90 until I moved the light). She doesnt poop much since she stays buried (although now she stays close to the surface). Would you recommend on taking her for a drive to see what the waste would look like not in water?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Right now a lot of Russians are slowing, as the fall moves in. Some getting ready to brumate, others, like mine, I will keep up.
If she hasn't eaten much, she may be getting herself ready to brumate. They stop eating or eat very little and this could be the cause too of the weird poop.
If you keep her up all winter then don't let temps get below 70 at night and make the enclosure bright and leave lights on for 12-14 hours.
I would just soak her again in a few days or so and see what she does. The poop in water should still look like poop, brown, maybe broken up a bit from being in water. Yours looks more like mucus with some urates.
Change the all over temp closer to 80. Basking and night what I already said above. Mine barely eats now too and hides most of the day in its hide. I still feed daily, give fresh water and soak through the winter about once a month or so.

Last edited:

Tortoisesarecool

Can you send a link or picture to the lights that you use? I don't think I'm finding the bulbs you recommend. Also, is my lamp a part of the problem?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not sure the lights are the problem, they just are bad to use.
10.0 HO, or the Arcadia 12% HO. Tube Florescent for uvb
Pictured is for the basking bulb. Search Amazon. Buy more then one as soon they may not be available unless is a reptile one and they will cost more.Screenshot_20230924-210101.png

Tortoisesarecool

Pictured is for the basking bulb. Search Amazon. Buy more then one as soon they may not be available unless is a reptile one and they will cost more.View attachment 361828
Thank you 👍. I'll make those changes and hope for the best. If not, I'll take her to the vet.

Tortoisesarecool

Pictured is for the basking bulb. Search Amazon. Buy more then one as soon they may not be available unless is a reptile one and they will cost more.View attachment 361828
I can't manage to upload a picture, but I found a uvb bulb. Is the

LUCKY HERP 2 Pack UVA UVB Reptile Light, 23W 10.0 UVB

Ok?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No,they look like the picture right? They are the coil bulbs that can hurt the tortoises eyes. You need a straight tube florescent.
Screenshot_20230928-070201.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, same as the others. Those are cfl, compact fluorescent, coil bulb. You need a tube fluorescent, no bends. The long straight tube.