Tort prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Just wondering how much everyone paid for their tort, and what are reasonable / average prices to pay.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
I paid $30 from a breeder for Bowser (sulcata tortoise). I got him when he was a week old.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
That really cheap! We aren't allowed to sell them (in pet stores etc) until they are 6 month old here in the UK. Mine was a gift but he cost £150. He came already microchipped and with papers so that saved me some money.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I got mine in exchange for pet-sitting my friend's fox for a month. He traded a higher-end Royal Python morph for her, so, in the vicinity of 200$ I guess.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
karleyreed said:
That really cheap! We aren't allowed to sell them (in pet stores etc) until they are 6 month old here in the UK. Mine was a gift but he cost £150. He came already microchipped and with papers so that saved me some money.

Well, pet stores in the US can't sell any turtles or tortoises under 4". Pet stores are NOT where most people get their turtles and tortoises here.

Cost depends on many variables: species, size, condition, wc vs cb, etc.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
NudistApple said:
I got mine in exchange for pet-sitting my friend's fox for a month. He traded a higher-end Royal Python morph for her, so, in the vicinity of 200$ I guess.

Baby sitting a fox? You can hv foxes as pets there??? That is most defiantly illegal here lol

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
He is a wild-life re-habber. It wasn't exactly legal for /me/ to have her, but someone had to look after her while he was on vacation.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
theTurtleRoom said:
Well, pet stores in the US can't sell any turtles or tortoises under 4". Pet stores are NOT where most people get their turtles and tortoises here.

Cost depends on many variables: species, size, condition, wc vs cb, etc.

Over here not many people, from my area anyway, breed torts, so they are very difficult to get a hold of. Mine had to be shipped from Germany which is why all of his papers are in German.
I was lucky to get him as not many places sell them and they're in high demand. I would say tho, my tort isn't even 2 inches yet.

NudistApple said:
He is a wild-life re-habber. It wasn't exactly legal for /me/ to have her, but someone had to look after her while he was on vacation.

Oh I see. Well that's acceptable I guess. We see foxes pretty regular in the wild here. We live in quite a rural area.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Think I gave $125 each for Ptolemy, Ophelia and Apollonia, plus $45 for shipping, and $160 for Jennifer, from a local hobby breeder.

Lately, around this time of year, I've seen males, left over from spring/summer shipments, going for a bit less...last year, a friend got her son a male Hermann's for $75 + shipping/handling.

karleyreed

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Think I gave $125 each for Ptolemy, Ophelia and Apollonia, plus $45 for shipping, and $160 for Jennifer, from a local hobby breeder.

Lately, around this time of year, I've seen males, left over from spring/summer shipments, going for a bit less...last year, a friend got her son a male Hermann's for $75 + shipping/handling.

That's pretty cheap given the dollar to pound exchange! Ha. I think they're in such high demand here and not enough access to them which is why they're so pricey. Are any of yours microchipped?

karleyreed

5 Year Member
bigred said:
Depending on what kind of tort you could pay 50.00 to several thousand

Several thousand??? Jesus. What species would set you bk that much??

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
bigred said:

This is my range.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I paid $300 from a very reputable breeder who is a member if this forum. I specifically wanted a female Hermann's, so that meant she had to be around 4 inches long (and probably 3+ years old) in order to determine the gender. I think they cost more when it's a female and when they're older than hatchlings. I was also willing to pay because of the breeder's excellent reputation, and I'm very happy with my decision.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
I paid $100 for my leopard from a breeder at just under a month old. I actually picked it out and paid for it at 2 weeks old and he held it until I was all set up.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
karleyreed said:
bigred said:

A radiated tortoise could cost anywhere from 700.00 for a small hatchling to several thousand. Aldabras several thousand as well. Albino redfoots, High white leopards, Hets, The list could go on and on I paid 1300. for my first Radiated tort and that was a good price. This is him now several years later. he developed some pretty good color. He didnt have most of this color when I got him

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
bigred said:
karleyreed said:
bigred said:

A radiated tortoise could cost anywhere from 700.00 for a small hatchling to several thousand. Aldabras several thousand as well. Albino redfoots, High white leopards, Hets, The list could go on and on I paid 1300. for my first Radiated tort and that was a good price. This is him now several years later. he developed some pretty good color. He didnt have most of this color when I got him

That's a nice looking tortoise. Cool pattern. How old was it when you got it?

The breeder I got mine from has albino sulcata hatchlings for over $2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.